fEARless 112 - Form and function - The review.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Sep 24, 2012.

1. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So this cab has been knocking around for a while and the design has been finalized. It recently made a debut at an AZ G2G and from what I hear made an impact, and left a lot of people impressed!

A few pics, this particular build was done by JHawk Customs, and is an amazing build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FEARLESS F112 Review
    by jHawk Customs LLC

The hardest part of reviewing the greenboy fEARless f112 is to decide which perspective to take. Is it a bass cab that happens to be great at other things? Or is it a multipurpose cab that happens to be great at bass? In the end and after some on-stage peer review, it appears to be all of the above.

As I typically do, after some 35 hz break in, I kicked some program music through it. One of the cuts I use is Infectious Grooves- ‘Stop Funkin With My Head.’ (It should be apparent why if you hear it). Can I just stop here and say that a pair of these for DJ work would be astounding. Not sure how much a sub would add? Was really impressed by how full the spectrum was represented. Nothing stood out as too much, and the low end was not only all there, but was chest thumping hard. Anything put through the f112 is heard as it should be. So, first impression? Wow- I want another!

But wait- this is a bass cabinet right? Better see what it can do in that realm.
    Fired it up and a couple of knob turns later we land in the world of- REALLY? This little thing is making all that glorious low end? But then again it is a greenboy!

The next obvious step is to try it in a live setting, so I packed up the f112 along with some other greenboy cabinets and headed to a TalkBass GTG in Phoenix, AZ, where it could go, toe to toe, with some of the most highly regarded boutique cabs in the world, as well as some major league commercial cabs. Put a bunch of great bassists in a room, and let them decide what they like best. Letting other players try everything out would also give me the chance to walk around the room and really listen to how well this cab would stack up against the others.

After some initial plunking by individuals, it was time to put it to the test.
    The band consisted of Drums, Bass, and 2 Guitars. One guitarist had an amp onstage. Bass, vocal and the other guitar were in the f112. No other onstage amplification. Bass went through a GB ShuttleMax pre out to the house board. Gtr was direct from Line 6 floor pod into house board. Monitor out of house into a QSC GX5 (600W at 8ohm single channel driven) into the f112. The bass was a little bit in the house, but 80 to 90% of the sound in the room was coming from that little wedge. The best review of this cab is to have seen the grin on BOTH of their faces. But I will insert this from the bass player –

“Hi all, I was at the GTG in Phoenix this past weekend with JHawk, RPsands and the rest of the motley AZ crew. My bandmates and I have been looking for some wedge monitors that could give us good results without using stage amps. We were excited to hear that the F112 was going to be ready to go. Let me tell you that this is exactly what our band has been looking for. Our goal is to have a "dry" stage with no amps/cabs, just pre-amps or floor pods direct through our P/A system. We've tried IEM systems and don't like them, so this is the perfect solution. I would be curious to see/hear a 15" version. Only cause I'm curious and bigger is always better, right?

IMHO, FWIW, the target market for this concept should include full band applications. It's a fantastic speaker cab that captures everything and works well for all applications. I'm sure JHawk will give a much more "indepth" reveiw, but from a performer's standpoint, this cab has everything we need. Great low end for bass players, but it also had fantastic characteristics for guitar and vocals.

If I'm starting to ramble, it's cause I can't say enough about the F112 wedge. Greenboy/JHawkCustoms has my bands full endorsement. We are saving our pennies to get at least a couple wedges ASAP. I really enjoyed playing through all of the Greenboy Designed cabs that JHawk brought. Thank you Joseph and Dave; You have made believers out of us."

Cheers.

RobC
    Arizona Bass Company

‘Nuff said? NO- of course not. At one point in the set, Rob was laying down his awesome groove which we could feel in the back of the room. A few of the attendees were wondering which cab was being used at that point. When informed that it was just that little wedge, they had to go to the stage area and hear/feel it for themselves. Again- the look of astonishment on their faces was the best review anyone could give. Being a GTG, there were many other rigs available and after trying a couple of others Rob said “I want to go back to the f112!” Now ‘nuff said!

Some specifics. The low end driver is the Eminence 3012LF. Mid duties fall to the more than capable Faital M5N12-80. This is a 5” driver that goes high enough in range that the Eminence APT80 HF is really only needed for very high end sizzle. The crossover has switchable mid pad optimized for Electric or Upright Bass. The Tweeter of course has an adjustable L-Pad.
    Final weight in Baltic Birch, with metal grill is around 38lbs. Pretty easy one hand suitcase carry using the top mounted handle. Top being relative to which position you have the cab in.

Final take is that you can’t really put this cab into one category. You can, however tackle many categories with this one cab.

See and hear for yourselves, even camcorder audio gets it across - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwkq5ibZ66U&feature=youtu.be

Hope that was worth the wait.

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Thank you for the review!
    Want....

3. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Those pic's ooze a high build quality!

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I played through this cab last weekend at the AZ GTG. I put my 8-string (low F# tuning) through it, and, while it seemed to break up a little with even the low F# (which was to be expected), the clarity, punch, and low end were DEFINITELY there. The volume and tone were absolutely fantastic. Were it in my budget, I would have no qualms about replacing my amp and wedge monitors with a few of these bad boys.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I want a pair of them!

7. Foz

Foz

Anyone tried em with eDrums yet?

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I am going to try and get my drummer into a pair of these for his eDrums.

10. jHawk Customs

jHawk Customs

Disclosures:
    Authorized Builder - greenboy designs including fEARful
    Thank you kindly.

And thanks CL for the post.

Just FYI, I played some Acoustic Electric GTR through it yesterday and it sounded damn good.
    Would love to see what it could do for a drummer.

11. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    hey, there's still a couple months in build season.. in fact I've gleaned leftover okoume for a showpiece demo.. made the first cuts yesterday..

12. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I think I have to hold out for a 115 or 212...

13. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Still can't believe how awesome that little box sounded. Very impressed. Can't wait to put a dust cover on my bass cabs and store them indefinately. IMHO this the wave of future for bands looking to improve overall sound, "lighten up" and shorten setup/teardown times. If your P.A. can handle the bass and drums, these wedges will do everything you ask them to. Less stage volume/noise = better F.O.H. sound I always say.

Thanks Dave Green for designing another winner and thanks Joseph for buiding it and bringing it to the GTG.

Cheers

RobC
    Arizona Bass Company

14. jHawk Customs

jHawk Customs

Disclosures:
    My pleasure Rob.
    And just so it's said- Rob makes some VERY nice basses. Would definitely recommend!!!!

15. Syco_bass

Disclosures:
    Awe shucks Joe. Thanks for the endorsement.

Cheers.

16. jHawk Customs

jHawk Customs

Disclosures:
    Only telling the truth.
    Still pondering what I want you to make for me!

17. Syco_bass

Disclosures:
    Bring it brotha...... looking forward to it. :hyper:

18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

I was in attendance at the AZ GTG and I was one of the guys who walked up to the stage to hear the fEarful Wedge up close to confirm the "huge" punchy, rich sound I was hearing was in fact coming from the this single reasonably sized wedge. Imagine my astonishment when I heard it up close and confirmed the bass thunder was tight, focused, yet deep, articulate, clear and decidely larger than I expected.

I was VERY impressed. The wedge seemed to defy physics on some level. Not often do you hear a quality and punch coming from some a small cab. Very very impressive!

BIG Props to Rob Curcio (Syco-bass). Rob is a solid and exceptional bass player. He layed down some very tight grooves, using the very impressive 5 string bass that he personally builds.

19. rpsands

rpsands

One thing to note is the pr15 pa speakers were also on use there.

20. GRoberts

PS: The only question I had at the time of the demo was where would you place your bass amp if you are using this fEarful cab as a wedge? I now see you can stand it on its side and use it in a vertical orientation. Pretty darned versatile!

21. GRoberts

yeah I knew that. So that is why I approached the stage and listened to just the output of the fEarful Wedge. It was no less impressive.