fEARless F115 - BNA Audio

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think this is the first one of these little beasts that has been completed. This one is Mark's personal cab, and he reports that it may be his favorite greenboy cab to date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This cab is loaded with a 3015LF, a 5" mid driver, and a horn. It has a switchable cross over that lets the user switch between an "Up right bass" friendly voicing and a more traditional greenboy voicing. Just like with the F112 this cab can be kicked back for tight stages, or stood up vertically, and paired with a second mirrored baffle cab should you need a real kick in the pants.

This last pic isnt as clear or as nice as the previous ones, but I think it may be the most important. Lined up is a P-bass, a F215, F115, and F112. It really puts size into perspective. The 215 is a tiny cab for what it really is, an 810 or marshall full stack killer. The 115 and the 112 are even smaller yet.
    [​IMG]

maestrovert likes this.
  2. barryaudio

barryaudio

Disclosures:
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    Great job Mark & BNA! Love the color scheme as well.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I really dig the matte finish on the grill and corners.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The guys at BNA sure come up with great color combinations!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Foz

Foz

7. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Blast Cult, BNA Audio, Fender, Innovation Stings, K&K
    WANT. G.A.S. in overdrive!

8. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Thanks for posting those pics, Julian!

Seems like every time greenboy designs a new cab, it's my new favorite! The beauty of the F115, for most gigs at least is the size to performance ratio. Weighs under 50lbs in Baltic Birch, 26"H, 20"W, 16.75"D makes for a really easy schlep and you can safely run 750 watts at 8 ohms. Just like the F112, it's hard to believe so much sound can come out of such a small cab. It'll be played on it's first gig tomorrow...doing some more testing later today :)

9. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    As far as I know, this is the first F115 sighting, but Don Barry should have one up and running any day now and we're building a few more as we speak :)

10. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    looks like a one-stop stage rig soluton.. one for the house, and either one of those little guys would be the ultimate drum monitor. Initially i thought the FEARLESS 115 would be a larger box than that.. surprise, surprise!!

11. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    It sure sounds large :)

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Drum monitor? That would be overkill for a monitor. The F112 would hold it's own for a decent size venue. I'm sure the F115 would really be even louder.

I've tried out the F215 and the F112 and they're both great sounding cabs. The F215 would probably handle just about any size gig short of a stadium without FOH support.

13. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    The F215 can get crazy loud and still sound amazing, for sure...The F115 perfectly splits the difference between the hugeness of the F215 and the hi-fi clarity of the F112...for me at least :)

14. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Just did some heavy testing with all of my FEARLESS cabs...I mainly play loud slap style upright bass. The F115 was the winner over all...never had such an easy time dialing up the perfect (for me) upright tone. Just for grins, I stacked my F112 on top, 'Bowlus style' and holy crap...massive, detailed, perfect...I really cannot say enough about the F115 based on the wonderful afternoon I just spent with it really testing. A buddy is playing it tonight to make sure I'm not crazy, and I have a gig with it tomorrow...can not wait :hyper:

15. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Talk about perfect timing ! Add me to the build list, Mark. I will paypal you this evening.

I am still upside down over the Faital equipped Dually. While it is my definition of perfect tone, it can't do everything. Heck, I don't need it to do everything. I just needed it to do bass very, very well.

I have been shopping for an additional tool/cab since I have been messing with the M Audio Venom. For synth, I need a little more up top for edge / clarity if that makes sense, while protecting big thick bottom. Seems to me that this will foot the bill perfectly. Plenty of bottom with as much edge as I could possible want. In addition, I can see a variety of other uses.

I sure hope you saved the color specs to match to my Dually. My inner OCD insists on a perfect match !

16. Foz

Foz

17. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Nice Rogers drum set, an old drummer had one, they are great.

Love the Cab!

18. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    The Venom is an amazing synth! I absolutely love mine. Sorry for the derail...just had to get that out.

19. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Blast Cult, BNA Audio, Fender, Innovation Stings, K&K
    FEARLESS!!! So, Mark Robertson has been kind enough to let me take the new F112, and now the new F115 cabs out to gigs, and put them through their paces. I knew I was going to like these cabs. Dave Greenboy Green is a freakin' mad scientist, and Mark does a fantastic job of bringing these bad boys to life. Not long after the first couple of BNA cabinets hit the road with Mark and I, we began a long back and forth with Dave, about what was, and wasn't working for us as Upright Players, and especially as upright players in loud bands. Shortly thereafter, Dave had reworked his crossover design with an 'upright' voicing, and started really working on these new designs (Fearless F215, F115, and F112). I can say unequivocally, that these are the BEST bass cabinets out there today. Dave has really taken the designs a step past what he was doing with the fEARfuls, and made something new and different.
    I've used the F112 a few times now. I used the first 12/6 cube that Mark built, on a couple gigs, and really liked it, but found it hard to hear, when set on the floor. (I'm 6'4) So I began talking with Mark and Dave, about building a 12 based cab, that could be kicked back as a wedge, like my old ampeg 210BXT did. After some finagling and a bit of time, Dave came out with the F112 design, A small, lightweight cabinet that can be used in 3 different positions. Flat, vertical (amp sits one end). Flat Horizontal, (This is best when the cab is part of a stack, or on a table, drum riser etc) and last but not least, as a wedge. I can't overstate the importance of this setup. kicked back in the wedge configuration (TC head, and Solstice velcroed to the cab) I was able to play a low volume tourist bar gig, Have great tone, and hear myself clearly, without blowing the customers away. The lows are tight at responsive, though not huge, like the 215 or my 1515/66/1. The mids and highs are positively sparkling thanks to the 5" mid driver and horn. The whole cabinet is really small, and light (under 40lbs), in fact, I walked the 1/4 mile from the lot to the gig, carrying my bass, backback with gear and amp, and the cabinet, with no problem. In my opinion, the F112, is the most accurate way to amplify the sound of your doublebass.
    The F115 is Loaded with a 15", 5" mid and horn. It does everything, that the F112 does, but it does it bigger and louder. Lowend for days, mids and highs, that put most PA cabs to shame, Amazing clarity, and again, the ability to use the cab as wedge. This might be the ultimate bass cabinet. It's a bit more heavy handed sounding than the F112, due, I think to the increased size of the woofer, yet it retains the crystal clear mids and highs of its smaller sibling. It was more than enough for me on 2 different gigs, last night, replacing my Acme 410 with ease. I found that switching the voicing switch, in and out, did change the character of the cabinet, but essentially works like a mid presence control. I found myself using the upright voicing (button in) for slap stuff, and the slab voicing (button out) fro Pizzicatto stuff. the more present mids brought out some finger noise, and woodiness in the tone, that I liked.

Either one of these cabinets, would serve 99% of bassists needs. The F112 is the perfect cab for small, low volume gigs, or gigs with decent monitors and a full PA. It's small, light, and extrememely accurate. The F115 will do anything, that your current 410 is doing. There's no shortage of volume, andthe kickback option means you can hear yourself, even under the most trying circumstances. 3 THUMBS UP!!

maestrovert likes this.
  20. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    We will match your Dually to the letter!

I gotta try one of those synths now!

21. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Thanks! Our studio house kit is a 1978 Rogers 'Londoner,' formerly the Rogers Dave Clark Five kit. The big bonus is it came with the original snare which is worth more than the entire kit :) I love that drum set. We've used it on hundreds of recordings