1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FedEx shipping woes - is my bass OK in the cold?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by friskinator, Jan 7, 2014.

1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Today was supposed to be NBD for me (a US Lakland Glaub, my dream bass), but the FedEx delivery was marked as "customer not available or business closed" when I checked the tracking around 5:30. Me and my wife were both home all day, and we never saw any attempt of delivery. No notification was left on the door.

As most of you would agree, I don't want it sitting in a FedEx truck overnight in my city's current temperatures. If the driver had actually done their job correctly, the delivery would be in my hands right now instead of possibly spending the night inside a freezing-cold truck where it's at risk of being damaged.

I talked to customer service on the phone twice, and neither representative could tell me if the package would be safe inside a warehouse or sitting in the freezing cold all night. Their calls to the warehouse went unanswered.

Am I worrying too much about damage from the cold, or should I just relax? I really don't want this one damaged, and the thought of having to file a claim with FedEx makes me stressed.

Anyone have any experience with this?
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I can understand. The place I just ordered my Ric. from said we can't ship the next few days because the freezing cold could crack the finish.
  3. wvbass

wvbass

I would be exactly like you, but... It is silly to worry about this. The situation is beyond your control. Most likely, your bass will be fine.
  4. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

Relax, trees grow in the cold. When you get it allow it to slowly acclimate to indoor temps. Open the packaging and let her breath. You should be OK. Best of luck, my friend!
  5. pica

pica Supporting Member

If the bass is in a case, let the bass get to room temperature before opening the case. If it is just in a box, let the box get to room temp.
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I've gone through exactly the same thing and I understand your concern. But I don't think you need to worry. First, the FedEx warehouses, from what I was told (by FedEx) aren't heated so it wouldn't be any better off at the warehouse. But regardless, basses routinely get shipped in really cold weather. That's not generally a problem. What can be a problem is if a bass isn't given the opportunity to acclimatize before the box is opened. When you get your bass, leave it in the box for two-to-three hours before opening the box and everything should be fine. I've gone through this a few times in weather much colder than what you get in Atlanta and have yet to have any issues with damage.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If manufacturers waited for perfect weather to ship merchandise nothing would ever get sold. I wouldn't worry about it.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Bring the box inside. Wait about 24 hours to open.
  9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

You definitely don't have to wait that long but if it makes you feel more secure...
  10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice, and I'll try to relax. Normally I'd agree about the Atlanta temps, but the high never cracked the 20s today. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, but I'll let the box acclimate for a few hours before opening.
  11. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I always try to think of how things are when they're manufactured or stored. Let's face it, the basses and the individual parts before assembly were probably exposed to freezing and extremely hot conditions multiple times before the product gets to you. This is just one example where the product is close, something you've been waiting on, and the elements are a bigger factor. I'm no expert, but like everyone said, let it sit a little while and warm up and take it from there.
  12. xed

xed Supporting Member

Here's what i would do.

I've got my house toasty warm (70 degrees). If i had a bass coming in from the cold (currently in the teens) i would take my house down to low 60's before it got there. Then bring the box in and let it sit for around 12 hours to make sure it had reached room temp and only then open it.

I personally watched a guy bring his prized acoustic into a toasty warm basement from the cold trunk of his car. He set the case down and popped the latch and "bang". Both of us looked at each other thinking "that sure was a loud latch pop". Nope, top of the acoustic with a crack run all the way down it.

Basses aren't acoustic guitars with thin tops but i wouldn't take any chances. Wood responds to temperature and humidity and normally those things change slowly which allows the instrument to naturally aclimate. Any time you have a situation where there could be a really quick change i would just play it safe. It would be interesting to hear what people like big tour guitar techs do since they would face that problem all the time.
  13. klokker

klokker

Good Advice all around. I left a bass in my kids car once by mistake and it sat for a week at around zero. Nothing happened. Like others have said keep it in the box and let it warm up for a few hours.

Basses are pretty stout that way.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'm kind of a worrier who babies his gear. But I never got too anxious about guitars shipping in the cold. Yeah, they're gonna get cold in that case for a day or two. Give it 24 hours to aclimate slowly to normal indoor temps before opening the box, it should be fine. I would only be concerned if it is something that happened with a high degree of regularity, as I am lead to believe it's a pattern of expansion/contraction that can lead to some stress issues with fit and finish. But once in a blue moon? Probably not.
  15. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

+1.

Had a similar experience a few years ago. My only concern was the finish would crack. I just let it worm up gradually and it was fine
  16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Some one on another forum had this same concern this morning, so I'll (more or less) repeat what I posted there:
    -Yes, sudden temperature changes can be a bad thing, especially for acoustics/hollowbodys (witness XED's experience), or instruments with nitro finishes (crack city). Solid bodys, and poly finishes? Not so much, but still not a good idea.
    -The "Proper" procedure is; let it warm up on it's own, in the box; then, remove the box, and let it warm up in the case; finally, open the case, prop it open, and let it warm up some more.
    -How long should this take? Personally, I use my hands to decide. If the box feels like it's at room temperature, then I take the box off. When the case feels warm enough, I open it and prop it open. When the bass feels right, out it comes. How much time this takes depends on how warm you keep your house.
    -Or, you could do like someone suggested on the other forum; "Wait 'till March!" :D
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If the bass has a nitro finish, bring the case inside and crack it open, do not open it! Once it is room temp, open it up and let it warm some more. If it is REALLY cold you could wait a little before cracking it but I wouldn't wait too long, maybe 10-15 minutes.

If the bass has a poly finish, relax, it's fine. It just has to adjust to your climate, so let it warm up.
  18. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Acclimate,acclimate,acclimate. Good advise to follow.

What bothers me a bit? You were home and the carrier claims they attempted delivery. I was waiting for a bass once and when I checked the UPS website it said they tried to deliver and I was not home. Well I was home. I complained and got them to contact the driver. Turned out they tried delivering to a home with the same house number as mine on an adjacent street! So if someone was home UPS would have left it at the wrong house if someone signed for it. The driver tried to deliver to that house again when he realized he was at the wrong house.

Beware of delivery blunders!
  19. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I've had both Fedex and UPS (several times) say they attempted delivery and no one was home, and I was. I've come to the conclusion, especially when it's towards the end of the day, that some drivers just get lazy and don't want to work late so they put that in the system and BAM they're off work!
  20. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm going through the same thing my precious Martin is sitting in some frigid temps since last week it was supposed to be here yesterday but we are still on level 3 maybe today? temps are around -19 here in Ohio. I planned on letting it sit for at least twenty-six hours before even opening the box then another two hours just sitting in the case I'm even going to take a picture of a current newspaper right next to my sealed box to back up any claims this stress is making me crazy.