Fedora basses aside...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Apr 4, 2014.

1. pklima

pklima

What other instrument names do people misread/misinterpret? I have a Killer bass - it's a Japanese brand - and one time somebody stared at the headstock for a good 15 seconds and then asked "...Hitler?"

[​IMG]

OK, sure. They also make a guitar model called, completely seriously, Killer Fascist Vice.

[​IMG]

I'd buy one just for the name even though I don't really play guitar, but to be honest it's not a terribly high priority. I'd rather buy a Burny bass and tell people it's a Bunny. Better yet if it's a pink Bunny.

[​IMG]

So, what else is out there?
  2. metalhead398

metalhead398

Alembic. My dad can never seem to remember the "A" so it's always "Lembic."

I actually don't know how to pronounce Pedulla. Is it peDOOla or pedYOOla?
  3. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

Believe it or not.....Lakland has been the confusing name at my gigs. Without the "E" in Lak people get lost! The best one was when a bass player from another band on a 3 band night come up to me and said I have never heard of that brand and she went on to say "you should really try my Squire it is a really good American designed bass"....."you might like it better than foreign made no name basses".....(insert face palm here)
  4. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

SpectEr and SquiRE come to mind, as well as all kinds of mutilations inflicted upon Schecter (Shecter, Shechter, Schector, etc.).
  5. WalterBush

WalterBush

It took me a while to figure out that some friends of mine were pronouncing Alembic as "Olympic" :eyebrow:

We've got a significant Spanish-speaking population in Yuma. In the local dialect of Spanish, Ibanez gets pronounced eeh-VON-yez, not EYE-buh-nez. Since Hoshino bought the Ibanez name from one Salvador Ibanez in Spain, I'm not sure which pronunciation I should correct, and thus I just call them Ibanez and let the customer pronounce it however the hell they want.
  6. pklima

pklima

Yeah, Ibanez gets pronounced weird by people from English-speaking countries, haha.
  7. The Thinker

The Thinker

My Hamers are often called "Hammers." Even by musicians sometimes.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

To be fair, with that font, it could be possible to make that error, particularly if you've had a drink or two. But that pink Ric copy is simply bitchin'. :D
  9. El Raro

El Raro

That's like telling Germans that their country is called Germany not Deutschland. Its your English pronounciation that's incorrect.
  10. spz8

spz8

Takamine. I've heard...

Tack Uh Mean

Tock Uh Meanie

:rollno:

It's Japanese...

Ta • ka • mi • ne (Sounds like: Ta ka me neh)
    たかみね
    タカミネ
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  11. RxFunk

RxFunk

Sorry to derail, but how do you type the hiragana characters on an English keyboard?
  12. spz8

spz8

HirAgana :smug:

Copy/paste - http://www.romajidesu.com/
  13. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Well the most ubiquitous (in writing anyway) seems to be Squier/Squire. What amuses me about that is those who seem to think that it's Squier that's the mis-spell on Fender's part.
  14. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks,I'm trying to learn, just started a couple weeks ago, hopefully I get the spelling down better soon.

On topic: Gretsch, I hear people mispronounce this all the time, and I have no idea why.
  15. spz8

spz8

OT - That's awesome. There are TONS of free resources online, but I will say, this has been my favorite study tool so far...

http://www.humanjapanese.com/

Only $10 for the iPhone version. Try the free "lite" version first to see if it's a good fit for you. Good luck!
  16. pklima

pklima

17. spz8

spz8