Feedback between Audiokinesis TC 12 Vs Fearless F110

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by otto B, Mar 26, 2014.

1. otto B

otto B Banned

I would like to get some feedback between; Audiokinesis TC112 and Fearless F110

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned a TC112 (and TC115) and now own a Fearless F110 (and F110 Sub). Both are fabulous cabs by great designers. To me the TC112 is a bit smoother and more polite throughout, very good for EB and ideal for DB, and the F110 is a bit more "PA" sounding and well suited to electric bass. All IMHO, of course :)

EDIT: I could be very happy with either cab regardless of EB or DB.

3. otto B

otto B Banned

Can you compare the lows? In your opinion can the F110 match up with the TC112 low end?

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    The closest I can do to compare is the TC115 vs F112. The TC115 is super smooth and even sounding and worked very well for upright. Overall, I liked the cab a lot and Duke is an awesome designer and human. I found myself wishing for stronger lows and the ability to get a stronger mid voice when needed, which led me to meeting greenboy. Been happily playing his designs since.

Odds are, whichever cab you choose... it'll be the best in its class compared to anything else you've ever tried, so that's the good news :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I've owned a TC115, and currently own a Fearless 110 and 210. The TC line sounds smoother to my ears, more polite and even. The Fearless cabs have more umph in the low end (and are tighter than the Fearful line if you've heard those). Fearless are better for electric bass than TC, both work well with acoustic bass. The TC112 might get a bit louder than the F110, but the F110 gets as loud as a good 210 so could be a wash.

They're both wonderful cabs and have top-drawer engineering. Both Dave Green and Duke have been very generous in providing me with advice.

P.S. one more thought about volume: for OP's church gigs, either cab should work fine. The F110 may be more versatile, especially in tilt-back mode on a small church stage where they want volume to be kept low. The dispersion of sound is wide and the whole band will hear and feel the lows even at low volume. Obviously, I'm biased toward the Fearless line since I no longer own the TC. I think the Fearless design is more versatile if you're doubling as I do. I always felt the TC cab was a bit wanting in the lows and lower-mids on electric bass.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

IIRC, Duke recently posted that he purposely sacrificed some lows in the TC112 to produce a smooth and even range throughout, a design goal at the outset.

I agree with Ukiah that F110 would likely suffice for Otto's church gig. If there is any concern that it might not, I'm certain than stepping up to the F112 would erase all doubts. The price difference is pretty minimal as the drivers cost about the same, at least it was the case when I bought my F110.

8. otto B

otto B Banned

I do agree the price difference between is minimal, I am just looking on the F110 that is for sale here at Talkbass.

9. Ukiah Bass

That cab is well priced. You'd save a bundle, get hands on experience and could easily flip it.

10. otto B

otto B Banned

Well I purchased that cab. Once I receive it I will give it my feedback

11. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Good luck on your purchase. I have the TC115 and TC112 and haven't tried the Fearless (yet). I really like the TC cabs - very clear, smooth and balanced. Plenty of low end, and if you want more, just bump the EQ up. If you really want more low end, try the TC115 wide version, which goes nice and low, or the TC212, which has 2 3012LFs and seems to go deeper than the TC115 non-wide version. All good. Enjoy, DM

12. Ukiah Bass

Enjoy your new F110, Otto - it's a terrific cab! Frankly it's my "go to" cab for most gigs as I don't need 410-type volume for typical requirements at local civic events, benefits and wineries. The F110 gets incredibly loud for its form factor and sounds huge.

13. otto B

otto B Banned

The F110 just arrived today, I will play with it tonight. So far I am super impress how great it looks, Small and super light. It looks really well build. I can't wait to test it.

14. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Hey Otto, how did it all turn out?

15. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

I've been using a TC112(AF) for years. I've only compared it to an LDS 15/6 "nEarful" so my opinion only matters slightly, but I agree with the others about the TC112 being smoother and having less low end. Also that it's easily one of the best DB cabs you can get, and I don't doubt the Fearless is also one of the best cabs for electric and DB.

However, it's relative. On a recent gig, using both electric and DB in a large hall with a jazz big band, on my GK MB800 I had to turn the Bass EQ down all the way -- yes -- completely down -- to get a good sound. The cab was a solid 15 feet from the wall. With EQ all the way down on the bass, I was still getting plenty of bass. Balance was perfect, really. Master Volume was about 10oclock and carried the band easily. I'm usually being told to turn DOWN with my TC112/GKMB800, because I figure it's not as loud in the room as I think it is on stage. Wrong -- I heard some others play thru the cab, and it's amazingly loud and clear, and carries a big band in a large hall at medium amp output.

16. Ukiah Bass

I also used to gig a Thunderchild 115 and I'm currently gigging Fearless 110 and 210 cabs. I can attest the TC's sweet spot is acoustic/upright bass. The Fearless cabs are no slouch in that dept, but they are (IMO) superior for electric bass. So in a way, the Fearless cabs are, for me, more versatile. One other thing: the Fearless line includes a switch for the midrange driver that kicks in a bit more those frequencies. To my ear, that flips the voicing of the Fearless 110 a bit closer to a Bergantino AE210 (and I presume the F210 a bit more like a Berg AE410). Not identically similar, but the effect really punches the bass through the mix in a band setting which makes the cab especially useful for rockers. Having that capability with one switch eliminates EQ hassle if you're in a hurry. The Thunderchild is a really sweet cab too - every tool has its place!

17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    There's a switch on the 8-ohm version of the TC112 that toggles between smooth and "a little bit of growl" in the upper mids. Such switches appear on some of my other cabs as well.

18. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses. I missed out on Otto's F110 when he sold it, so I decided to plump for the TC112AFv2 (8 ohm). Duke has been very helpful in our messages and it works out slightly cheaper than a fearless F110/F112. In the UK, the fearless cabs cost £750ish, and there is no return if it isn't to your taste. The TC is a touch less, even after customs fees. I was swung by the slightly smaller size, the fact it also has a midrange switch, and the reported overall smoothness. My favourite sounds are playing my basses through a desk and hearing them through good monitors or headphones, so it seems likely the TC will fit for me.

FWIW, I tried out a Barefaced BB2, and really liked the smoothness of the mids and highs, but felt it was a little big for some small gigs I do, and the horn pattern might not work so well if I flipped it on its side. Duke's new horn has a fairly uniform dispersion vertically and horizontally and looks like it should work well either orientation. The TC is small enough (and close enough to the Acme B1 it will replace in size) that I think it will work in some cramped venues I play in, whilst giving me more max SPL. Though less low end extension, of course.

Looking forward to it very much!