Feedback on this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jazzcat_13, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

So I found a Wan Bernadel bass for sale on Craigslist near where I live. I've been interested in them for some time now and have been thinking it might be a good fit for my upcoming college years. From what the seller has posted, is this worth it? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/4393469165.html

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

If you like it, and it is in solid shape, grab it. I believe they are around $5k new. I liked the couple I've played.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Disclosures:
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    It looks like a steal, with all the fixins he's including.

4. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

That's the problem. Glen Fong sent me a PM and told me that the photo of the back of the bass was taken in his backyard in 2010, when he was selling it, and that from what he can tell, the photo of the top is not that bass. I asked for more photos to figure out if this is true or not. I'd hate if this is a scam. It's a killer deal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Being craigslist, suspicion should be the default. With that said, if it is a scam, how exactly might that work? It's not like you're going to take delivery through the mail and open the box to find bricks and sawdust instead of a DVD player.

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

8. kdrabbit

kdrabbit

Go check it out in person. If it's real, it's a great deal. Grab it.

9. lorianb

lorianb

10. Jsn

Jsn

The guy isn't saying it's a Wan-Bernadel. He's saying, "look up Wan-Bernadel for pictures." Hmmm.

Keep us posted.

11. hhalt

hhalt

To me the top looks like a Wan-Bernadel. The bridge adjusters look like the style that come with this bass. I have three students that own this bass. You never know with craigslist though.

12. groooooove

groooooove

while i agree that trusting craigslist is always less-than-wise;

the way that ad is worded doesn't smell scam-ish to me. the used price is pretty fair i think.

you can always go see the bass.... if its not what it appears to be, just dont take it. depending on how far it is, and how bad you want the bass, it may or may not be worth it for you.

13. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

I have decided that it is a scam of some sorts. After Glen Fong told me that the photo of the back was of a Wan he sold four years ago and that the history of the bass the poster wrote about did not match his, I asked for more photos of the bass and I have not heard back since. He also said the bass was in San Diego as of now. I'm kind of bummed. If I liked it, I would've taken it. Oh well.

14. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

I need to revive this forum for some more input on a bass I found on eBay that I'm hoping is real. It's a Johan Rauner either from the 1950s or 60s that the seller wants for $3500 (I would much rather play it and if it clicks with me rather than buy it sight unseen for a cheaper price if the auction doesn't go nuts IMO). I'm going to send this to my teacher and get his feedback as well, but the more the merrier! From the pics, I think it looks in pretty good shape, but I may be wrong. Thanks for any input!
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/251501069300?nav=SEARCH

15. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

go play it
    if it feels good and sounds good then buy it???

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

It's probably a Wilfer, Rauner is a brand name for west coast import basses, I think. Do a search on the forum. I have a Juzek labeled bass that looks very much like the couple of Rauner's I've seen pics of. If it is what is described, it could be a very good buy. Buying sight unseen and not luthier evaluated is very risky though, and I wouldn't go there myself. Best to go to LA and meet the owner at a bass shop for evaluation. Good luck!

17. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Sometimes we have people asking this question from South Dakota or Cyprus or someplace where they really don't have a lot of options. In So. Cal, you're resplendent with bass shops and local players selling instruments. I wouldn't buy anything off of eBay if I were you. If it's on ebay and a local sale, contact the seller and ask if you can come play it. He might cancel the auction and sell it to you or ask you to bid on it, but at least you will have seen it. EDIT: I looked past the photos and read his offer to "come see it and play it". Go check it out. Offer your teacher a lesson fee to go with you if you want extra confidence.

Just my $ .02.

18. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's a decent price for a good bass - *if* it doesn't have any issues.

Its a #169 ie. gamba shaped bass and the pickup is an Underwood, not a Fishman.

I can't imagine that it sounds its best with that ugly, crippled bridge, and the sound post is WAY off...

As Eric said, its a Wilfer - not top of the line but they knew what they were doing back then.

As Troy said, take your teacher and go and play it. If its healthy, make him an offer. If it has issues, subtract the cost of the issues from the asking price (new bridge with adjusters, sound post adjustment, loose bass bar, maybe fingerboard work?) and make him an offer.

I've seen a few Rauner labelled basses and they've all been nice. I have a Rauner #171 (Violin corners) and it sounds great! ;)

Good luck.

19. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Jeez. I paid $1400 for a new-old-stock plywood '79 Wilfer a few years ago.

20. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

From what you saw Jake, how much do you think repairs may cost?

21. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

It looks like it may have a long saddle crack. It may be already be repaired, but not a great repair if it was done. Details like this need to be evaluated by a luthier in person.