1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Feedback problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MattParasite, Feb 18, 2014.

1. MattParasite

MattParasite

Hi all,

I have this problem, which is incredibly annoying:

When I use my Boss bass overdrive pedal I get loads of feedback, I can’t seem to remedy it.
    Now, this is a given using overdrive pedals i know that...BUT: I notice I only get it when I use my jazz bass, and not my p-bass. I however want to use my jazz bass.

Nothing I do changes it (other than not using the overdrive pedal!).

Here are some pics of my set-up…any help would be massively appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MattParasite

MattParasite

P.S
    I'm using Seymour Duncan SJB pick ups

3. markanini

markanini

Sounds like your pickups are microphonic. I would contact Duncan.

4. MattParasite

MattParasite

ha!

im just wondering if its to do with wiring or something like that?

i don't understand how i get massive amounts of feedback with the Jazz bass but literally none at all with the P-bass (which has seymour duncan quarter pounders in).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not sure why you say "ha", since he could be right. It's more likely than anything to do with wiring inside the bass.

When switching between the basses and NOT using the overdrive, do you have to adjust the input gain or output volume of the amp?

7. MattParasite

MattParasite

oh right! excuse my lack of understanding. Microphonic?! as in one of them is faulty?
    I guess I can find out which one is faulty by turning volume off on one at a time to see which one produces the feedback.

It is however ONLY when im using the overdrive pedal though?

My p-bass seems louder than jazz so normally have to turn up a little when switching from the p-bass to the jazz

8. MattParasite

MattParasite

i have googled this.
    Does mean i need to wax dip the pickups? And it means the pickups are not faulty, it's just the way they are?

9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    It's complicated. Normally if a pickup is microphonic, you just replace it, rather than trying to fix it. But maybe someone else here has more of an idea about repairs.

Two potential reasons come to mind about why the problem is noticeable only with the overdrive. One, the OD is gain so it amplifies anything in the chain, and that added gain might be just enough to start the system feeding back (with a bass that was more prone to feedback already). Two, there could be a ground fault in both the Jazz and the OD, causing weird behavior when they are connected. The first one seems more likely though.

Especially since the J is quieter, so you need to turn up the amp gain too.

I would consider new pups.

10. markanini

markanini

Pickups are waxed or epoxied by the manufacturer specifically to reduce microphonics. There are exceptions with some vintage replica models though.

11. MattParasite

MattParasite

Ok.
    Is it likely to be a grounding issue in the bass being the problem in the chain that causes the overdrive to 'amplify' anything that could then cause feedback?

If not…what pick ups would you recommend for a similar price etc for a jazz bass that won't squeal and annoy everyone in my band and myself beyond belief.
    I play in a hardcore punk/heavy band

12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    So, like I said, it is NOT likely to be a problem with just the wiring in the bass by itself.

As far as replacement pups, any decent brand will do. Jazz pups don't normally squeal; it's only when they are defective that they become microphonic.