1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Feedback wanted - which rig should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jehhorton, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jehhorton

jehhorton

Ok, I'm brand new to the forum, so please feel free to direct me to threads that may have already answered this question.

I am currently playing an (american made, first year) Ampeg BA 115 hp, which I like, and am pretty happy with. I now have the resources to get a large rig. I am considering the Victor Wooten rig (Lh1000, 410hx, 115hx) from Hartke, Ampeg stacks in the same price ($1500-$2000) range, GK stacks, same power and price range, or the Carvin stack, much cheaper for the same setup. My problem - I love the ampeg sound, and can try out all of the above locally (DFW), but not side by side. Also, I can't try out the carvin stack, obviously. I need something that works equally well with a P-bass, G&L SB-2, or 5 string with EMG's. Opinions?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Carrots in my opinion.

The 410+115 combo is a horrible pairing cooked up my marketeers.

If you have $2k to spend IMHO I would go with an Ampeg PF-800 and a fEARless F115.
  3. wickedlowendbas

wickedlowendbas Supporting Member

I have the Carvin B2000 with the BRX10.4 and the BRX 18.1 with my P bass and love it! This rig really blows some air! You won't be disappointed. Beautiful tone with plenty of power to use if you need it.
  4. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

2K?

V4B and Heritage 410HLF
  5. slade

slade

If you know you dig Ampeg stay with Ampeg.
  6. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I'm thinking it is time for an Ampeg 8x10.
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1

Any of those rigs will work well and sound great with your basses. But if you love the Ampeg's sound already, you should stick with that. Already some good suggestions here. Go with the V4B suggestion if you can swing the cash and want a tube head. Opt for the PF800 if you want to go lighter weight and solid state.
  8. jehhorton

jehhorton

What about the SVT 7? I see a lot of them, but nobody seems in love with them
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

If you really want an Ampeg, you are going to wish you had gotten the Ampeg.
  10. jehhorton

jehhorton

Thanks everyone for the responses. since there were no Carvin supporters, and I can't try one out, I'm gonna go a/b some hartke and ampeg rigs at the megastores tomorrow, then make my decision. I'll check out whatever else they have that's similar, but I'm guessing I'll end up with one of those two. Thanks again!
  11. jehhorton

jehhorton

If one of the stores will trade me what I want for my Q5 (which I doubt) I'll get it from them. If not, I'll buy as soon as the q5 sells
  12. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

If I were going to spend that much money on a system I would trust MY ears and not the opinions of others. Listen to as my amps and cabinets as you can and try to buy from some place with a good return policy. Also consider used equipment.
  13. jehhorton

jehhorton

That's how I usually buy, just trying to shortcut the process a little. I will buy used once I've decided, if used is available and reasonable. To me, reasonable used is 1/2 to 3/4 of retail, and most people are trying to sell used stuff for 90% of retail if it's in good shape.
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Me, I would go with either the GK or Ampeg. GK, 1001RB and a Neo 412 and Ampeg, man I dont know, they have so much to offer. I would go with the CL or the V4B and an HLF cab of some sort. My $.02
  15. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

Exactly.

There is a lot of information on this site, some of which is bad.

Cheers!

MJW
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like the 7 Pro a lot but I'm getting a PF800. Form factor's a little smaller, sounds pretty close to the 7 Pro, and truth be told it's a backup to my tube Ampegs anyway. I'm also a fan of some of the Hartke stuff, but Ampeg is my true love, so even though I've had some dalliances with other stuff occasionally, I stick with it because nothing quite satisfies me like it.
  17. slade

slade

I've got one- it's a fantastic amp. There were some failures early on and TB pounced- amp got a bad wrap as did Ampeg. I've used mine on I would guess about 100 gigs now- fantastic, warm, and powerful. I'm not completely happy with the character of the mids, and really have to work to get them where I want them, but other than that it's a great amp and I'd highly recommend one (as someone who has gigged one hard)
  18. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I disagree with most here pushing 810s. Why? Odds are most will never need one. Instead of size why not buy quality. If you like Ampeg why not get the classic with a 410. King daddy Ampeg amp and a manageable package usable in all situations and size is perfect for almost every situation. And if you really want 810 then later get another 410. Same thing without having to be hindered by moving a refrigerator everytime. 810s most of the time are just overkill.
  19. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

^ agreed. I played a Mesa Combo with 2x12's last night that easily pounded as hard as most average 8x10's. If anyone needed more power than that I wouldn't want to jam with them or go see them play as I would be afraid of being vaporized.

Since everyone always does it I'll throw in an "off menu" suggestion. Mesa Carbine if you can try one out. Sounded great with my P Bass.
  20. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I've never heard a Mesa I didn't like. Well built to.