1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Feeling Old (50 years ago Beatles etc)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kesslari, Feb 11, 2014.

1. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    With the Beatles' Ed Sullivan show 50th anniversary, I got to thinking... (always a dangerous thing, I know).

I was born in 1961. When I was, say, a teen in 1975 - 50 years back was 1925. Several major musical style changes since that time, and kids my age did NOT listen to pop music from 1925. Or 1935 or 1945... except maybe as a novelty.

Now, there is a lot of music from 40-50 years ago that still gets airplay. In fact, LOTS of music from that time...

Just a weird thought. Maybe it's 'cos I'm getting older, but 1974 seems a lot closer to where we are today than 1934 did to me in 1974.
  2. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

I know what you're saying but it makes my head hurt.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman

I was born in 1963. If anyone tells me I'm old, I just kick their ass.

It always makes me feel better.
  4. ZenG

ZenG

I was born in 1947

been a good run as far as music goes.....

Hasn't really been any boring times in music from then 'til now (except for Gloria Gaynor and Olivia Newton John)

Lots of music to choose from when you look back...

I don't think I'd have experienced the same results if I'd been born in 1847.
  5. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

50?? OMG..... 50????? What a geezer. Probably sagging and bagging. Hairs falling out.... teeth are stretching....more hair on your back than on your head.....and when you sit on the can , your doo dads hang in the water. beats the snot out of the alternative though. Oh , and before you get too ticked at me , ya might wanna check my profile. ;)
  6. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Don't sweat it, pal! Born in '59 and have seen skinny ties come into vogue 3 times in my life so far. When bell bottoms come back, I'm done.
  7. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Pah, I'm the same age as you. You haven't lived until you have bought your own spot in the cemetery. Okay, it creeped my out, but I did it.
    In a couple of months I will be able to go to the movies for $6.50. Last week a teenager gave me his seat on mass transit. I laughed and said "Do I look that old?" I took the seat though.:p
    Fifty years before I was born most people didn't own cars. I remember seeing Elvis on Ed Sullivan.
    And I remember (kind of) what it was like B.D. and what it was like A.D. If you have to ask get some old Freak Brothers comics.
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Technology is speeding up the rate of change, but conveniently providing longer lifespans and greater functionality compared to the past as we age. So we're able to both have more cultural turnover, yet retain more simultaneous generations. It's an interesting age we live in.
  9. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. LMAO.. We ARE getting old:p
  10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Yeah... when I was a teen in the mid '70's, we would have never ever listened to music from the 20's,30's, or 40's unless we were forced to at Grandma's house. Then we would want to get as far away from it as possible.
    Today, I work with a fellow musician in his early 30's. I've introduced him to a lot of great stuff from the '70's like early Yes and Sabbath. It is still great and relevant today some 40 years later. He loves it too. At least he didn't run away... BTW - I do not feel old..
  11. bassinplace

bassinplace

I think it's because technology has advanced at a more rapid pace in your generation than the previous one, enabling more music (and culture in general) to reach a wider demographic.
  12. msact

msact Supporting Member

I turned 50 almost a year ago. There are times I don't feel that old and there are sometimes I feel like I am 70. One thing that sucks is not being able to read anything without my Buddy Holly style readers.

As long as I last long enough to see my kids grow to adulthood I will be happy.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Applications Engineer, QSC Audio
    I was born in 1959. I was a couple months shy of five years old when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show but I do remember something of it, especially that I couldn't understand why there was all that screaming.

At that age I liked to draw pictures with a pencil and paper. Some time after seeing the Beatles on TV I drew some almost-stick figures that had some random lines for hair. Some held guitars and one was behind a big round drum. I titled the drawings "The Beetles."
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I was born in 1950. I take pleasure in introducing kids to some of the great movies made in the 60's and 70's they've never heard of.

And when I rock, it sounds good.