Felix Pastorius in NYC 1-27-14

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Jan 30, 2014.

1. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

I have all 6 songs from the set on my channel. I'll post link to one that's familiar, a Jaco favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ym1BmvNJ0

Also he's a good friend of mine and I've been catching his gigs for years, so my channel is loaded with a lot of cool Felix Vids. Any q's let me know what's up!

2. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So you must be rhynowforever (sorry, I can't remember the spelling off of the top of my head)
    There are some Great videos on your channel! I was never sure if that account was actually felix p or not!

3. groooooove

groooooove

really hip stuff.

once he started that first solo you can see it, this man really is from a "bass royalty" blood line.

really though, he is very good player and i like his band. i've never been to one of his gigs, does he live /play often in the city?

4. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Seems a lot of Foderas sound quacky but this one is the "Superduck".
    I hope it sounded better in the room but on the video it sounds like a Wah pedal stuck in the middle.
    I don't think I'll be a Felix Pastorius fan any time soon, I know he can play but his dad made me want to be a bass player back when his first album came out. Felix doesn't have that same effect on me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i disagree with gimmeagig!!!!:confused:

Felix is the Man, IMHO. i love Jaco to death, but my favorite piece of music from any Pastorius is this one,

thanks FiveStrings!;)

7. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Gimmeagig I recommend checking him out on the most recent Jeff coffin mutet album. His tone is excellent! And I'm pretty sure he did not have his new 6 string fodera at the time and recorded on the 5 in the video (which I love that video a ton)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Felix has gotten a LOT better these past few years. He could always play but I felt he was struggling to find a voice. I think a lot of folks wanted him to be the second coming of Jaco and he finally realized that ain't gonna happen. He's become one hell of a soloist. Downside is I don't like his sound with the Yellowjackets. It's Jimmy Haslip or nothing for me. I'll take Felix in other settings though.

9. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I totally agree, Haslip was such a powerful voice in the Yellowjackets that it's just not the same without him. The new CD is a huge step down from what they were doing before.
    Then Haslip moved to Jeff Lorber and now that's not a good fit either. Alex Al is the man for that band as far as I'm concerned.
    Can everybody just leave well enough alone and change back? :)

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nate Phillips is the guy for Lorber. Jimmy can't give him slap bass when needed. Alex Al and Jimmy Haslip both recorded bass for Brian Culbertson's upcoming cd. Some excellent bass work too, I might add! And Alex is currently in the house band for The Arsenio Hall Show. I'd def like to see Alex get on a tour with somebody though. That dude is insanely good!