1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fellas Educate Me...What is the Aguilar Sound? How would you describe it?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Aug 14, 2013.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I've been using GK and Ampeg for years now, (usually GK into Ampeg) but I have been curious about Aguilar for awhile now. How would you describe the Aguilar sound? For reference I would describe my GK sound as edgy, Your thoughts?
    Thank you in advance,
    Brent

2. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Very flat which means it has a lot of tasty mids. It is not edgy like the GK...it is a more fat sound. To me it sounds like a slightly creamier and less wooly Ashdown Abm 500. Gotta love these bloody metaphors, eh?;)

3. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Just to clarify. I'm talking about the db750.

4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

I would say supportive and punchy, with a bit more midrange focus and a very "smooth" treble response (not edgy) and depending on the amp, either huge bottom end for days (DB series) or massive, fast and thick midrange punch with plenty of supportive lows (Tone Hammer series).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

Warm, balanced, modern

7. makanudo

makanudo

I was also curious about this. Fat thick mids with supportive lows sounds awesome! Do you guys match it with aguilar cabs or how do you preffer your Aggies?

Sorry for hijacking :O

8. cnltb

cnltb

middy is what those amps tend to sound like to me.
    A good kind of middy but still middy.

9. KJung

KJung

I call the Aguilar tone (specifically the TH500/350, and also the DB751/50) the 'anti-GK' heads. Pretty much at the opposite end of the voicing continuum, with the GK having that 'edge' and brightness and aggressive grind and upper treble sizzle capability (as described briefly by the OP), and the Aguilar being all about a warm midrange character (i.e., controlled, baked in harmonic complexity of the midrange), fat, chewy low end, and a very organic, relaxed top end that is not edgy or harsh or hi fi in any way.

Both tone profiles have a strong reason for being, depending on the tone you are looking for. If I had an MTD and wanted that 'boom and sizzle' to really come through, I'd be all over the GK (or if I was looking for a very bright J slap tone). For those who are more attracted to George Porter Jr, Duck Dunn, Bob Glaub, etc., the Aguilar tone is quite something.

I personally use Bergantino Neo's (CN and AE cabs) with my TH500 and TH350. Especially with the CN cabs, they have a sort of tight (i.e., nice ratio of upper bass to lower bass), punchy, warm tone that really works well. I also LOVE the Aguilar DB 12" loaded cabs, but they are too heavy for me personally.

10. makanudo

makanudo

So for someone looking for a more slap oriented sound the Aguilar is a great option and if you want a more heavy rock/lighter metal the GK are the ones?

11. KJung

KJung

Well, you can play any style on any gear. If you like the Ready Freddie Washington or Larry Graham 'fat, meaty, slap tone, the Aguilar TH500 is amazing. If you want the Marcus Miller or Norm Stockton type of bright slap tone with lots of upper treble content, the GK does that great.

The GK's do have more of that upper midrange grind (think Flea) while the Aguilar has more low mid growl (think Georg Porter Jr.).

IMO!

12. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I can't speak for the heads but the OB-3 that was in my Lull was the sound of "getting lost in the mix". Lots of low end and sparkling highs but it was sorely lacking in midrange punch. I switched to a Sadowsky preamp and the instrument came alive. The bass I used to leave at home now sees a considerable amount of gig time (considerable by today's standards at least ;)).

13. KJung

KJung

Yeah, my least favorite on-board pre. Even though the TH heads are said to be 'based on the OB-3 circuitry', I don't hear that at all. The TH500/350 is the exact opposite of the OB-3 voicing to my ear... lots of upper bass and midrange, and a very 'lower treble' top end. Edit: The OB-1 is closer to the Sadowsky pre to my ear.

14. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

smooth on the top end, huge gut rattling low end. db750's are very sensitive to different preamp tubes. when I first got mine I thought it sounded muddy. swapped out for a new tube and it really changed the way whole upper kid and treble response. I think it sounds very similar to the old Demeter preamp sound.

15. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    Aguilar sounds like New York.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

GK: Clean, limpid medium yellow with a hint of green, quite rich, a really lovely colour. Touch of new wood on the nose, ripe melony fruit, slightly exotic, stylish and very expressive. Fine, floral, honeysuckle fruit on the palate, with hazelnut overtones.

Aguilar: Rich and quite buttery, yet good lemony acidity,very elegant but still young. Very good balance, oak and fruit well blended in, an excellent example of grape variety dominated by terroir, great persistence, very good future.

17. makanudo

makanudo

Dude let me take a hit of that sweet stuff

18. JMarsh

JMarsh

Heh heh. He said terroir.

19. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Okay......but just be sure to have your pinky finger pointed up at the required 54 degree angle.

20. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

I've heard it described as "updated/modern take on the classic Ampeg sound."

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I agree with your assessment of the difference between the OBP-3 and the TH500 preamps. For that reason, the OBP-3 is one of my favorite on-board preamps.