Female bassists and your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Zekkis09, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Zekkis09

Zekkis09

As a female bassist myself, I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks about us generally.
    I don't see any female musicians in bands of my chosen genre (metal, metalcore, deathcore etc...) which sucks but also gives me something to strive towards.
    I've had rejections from bands because "a girl in the band just wouldn't look right" which is a fair point I suppose, but still grinds my gears.
  2. Mr L

Mr L

My only problem with the female musicians I know is their tendency to be way to self conscious. Not saying this is the same with all girls but just the handful I know.

In rock/metal stage presence is important and that can require looking stupid at times. Lots of girls are afraid to put themselves out there and not care what people think.

I know a few guys like this as well but mostly I see it in the girls I play with.
  3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Good on ya, it's nice to see more girls in electric music of all kinds but the fact that you picked those particular genres is commendable, you're part of a rare breed.
    Talent has nothing to do with race, gender, or ethnicity. Keep on trying, I'm sure you'll come through eventually. And hey, any guys not willing to play with a talented female musician are missing out, IMO.

--Silvie
  4. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

I don't look at musicians as gender specific. I've mostly played in bands that
    have a mix of females and males, never really thought about playing in a gender specific band. I sub on bass in an all girl
    band on occasion and the female guitarist shreds better than most male guitarist I've worked with.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sevdog

sevdog

"a girl in the band just wouldn't look right" is ABSOLUTELY NOT A FAIR POINT. And don't let anyone tell you that it is.

In fact, you should probably wear steel toe boots the next time you're going to be around those people and introduce those boots to their crotches. What a bunch of losers.
  7. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

+1
  8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Why not start your own band?
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

There's a girl bassist club here on TB and at least one thread on female bassists out there in the music world at large. Personally, I think female bassists are great as long as long as they can actually play (and I certainly know some who can play circles around me). I think that having a woman in the band gives women in the audience someone to identify with on stage, which can be a real asset in a band's appeal.
  10. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

There's nothing gender specific about what we do. Keep going.
  11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Just keep at it and don't let those lacking an open mind get to you. My wife was one of the pioneer female guitar players starting in the mid 50's when female musicians in bands were not as common. She played and recorded with Bo Diddley from 1957-62 and then again both her and I from 1969 to the early 90's.

Here is a site that has the most biographical info on Lady Bo: http://members.tripod.com/~Originator_2/ladybo.html

Wally
  12. bassteban

bassteban

Personally, I think it should make no difference- but for some it does. Props for anyone getting out and playing, especially if others think/say you can't.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Having a female in the band can actually give you the opportunity to expand the band's repertoire. I don't care about a person's sex, race or age as long as they can play and are easy to get along with. The only issues I have seen with females in some bands is that at some point one or more of the guys in the band becomes or wants to become romantically involved with her which leads to fighting within the band.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    First and foremost, I consider a woman with a bass or guitar that is kicking it on stage to be SEXY as all hell.

Anyone who doesn't feel that way is NOT a man.

Not a real man, anyway.

I'm just throwing that out there.
  15. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

Wow, I am surpised. My genre's of choice are less mysogonistic and even though I am a male I have always liked seeing a woman on Bass. Tina Weymouth, Kim Gordon, Kim Deel, Gayle Advert I actually have found that female bassits have been the position in most mixed gender bands. I always thought that this may be due to not having the need to be the flashy rock star because they simply are musicians. I personally would refuse to play in a band if the rest of the band decided a woman was not the right fit simply because she was an inny in a world of outies. BTW the same would go for racists and homophobes.
  16. TimWatson

TimWatson Supporting Member

+1

If you can play (and there's no gender-specific reason you shouldn't) and don't add any drama (another stereotype, as I've known male musicians that would rival the drama of any female I've known), it should only add to the band's appeal. YouTube has several great girl bassists that could play switches around me, and that's hot!
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Then you are probably cool.
  18. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would love to play bass in an otherwise all female band. I love women in any setting. I used to help them constantly as a Truck driver. Other drivers would treat female drivers like crap. Sometimes, male or female, you need a helping hand especially sliding Tandems & 5th wheels.
  19. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN Gold Supporting Member

Girls have Koodies.

Seriously though, I see girl bassists quite often, and most have some serious chops.
  20. SnowCal

SnowCal

I'm all about coming up with a good image for your band and being smart about not messing it up, but sexist douchenozzles is not an image I'd aim for in any genre.

Way to go morons.
  21. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Really?

What about Doris Yeh of Chthonic? She rocks in every possible way.
    [​IMG]

Grog from Die so Fluid. Ok they're borderline pop but it's still metal.
    [​IMG]

Then you have Rayna Foss from Coal Chamber, Jo Bench from Bolt Thrower, I can think of a dozen others. There surely is no shortage of female metal bassists.
    Don't ask yourself the wrong questions. You're a bass player, as long as you can play your genre is irrelevant.