1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender 100T vs Ampeg V-4B

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by I am Soma, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Anyone have a chance to compare the pros/cons of each of these amps?

2. fishinmuzician

fishinmuzician

I have yet to see a comparison, but would be willing to do so. I have the V-4B. I know TB member Soxhats has a 100T and lives close to me. If he chimes in here we can set something up. I believe he has the Fender 410 neo cab and I have a couple PF-115HEs. Could be fun!

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

There are a few (at least one but I think two) head to head reviews in the V4B reissue thread (late part 1, early part 2).

4. Tim1

Tim1

I own a 100T and have played the new V4B. I placed a comparison review on the V4B thread.
    Here y'are:
    As promised, here are some observations I jotted down after comparing the V4B to the Fender Bassman 100T at the Bass Rockshop in Auckland yesterday. First, thanks to the guys at the Rockshop for being so accommodating. Bear in mind these thoughts are just gut based, casual observations as I only had about twenty minutes so it is not in depth. I currently own a Bassman 100T and Super Bassman 300 and in the past have owned a much missed SVT2 nonpro and an SVT VR, so I am familiar with both companies.
    I was using a Fender Jazz provided by the shop. First reaction playing the V4B into an Ampeg 410 HLF cab was Fat, Fat , Fat and then Fat again. Beautiful rich, creamy tubey bass and I was able to get it easily without needing to crank the amp to overdrive levels. I am not very familiar with the 410HLF but it reminded me very much of my old SVT2 nonpro into my old fridge, yet I was able to get “that” tone at way lower volume. I did not have much time to play with the controls, so it was basically bass/mid/treble flat (5). I did have the bass boost on (pushed to right) and when switched the other way the bass reduced a little but the essence of fatness was still there. This seemed to me to be the signature character of the amp, although with more time I am sure I could have eqd other sounds from it. I also tried it into an Ampeg 112 cab but much preferred the 410HLF although the basic character was the same. I don’t know whether my memory has warped with time but it reminded me somewhat of my old Fender Bassman 100 into two JBL K140s way back in the seventies.
    Next I plugged the same bass into the Fender 100T and Fender neo 610 cab, a combination I use myself. I only used the vintage channel, starting flat (2-10-2) then adding a touch more bass. Sounded terrible until I realised the master was on two and the gain cranked from a previous user (phew!). Correcting that gave me the sound I know well – open, transparent, clear but a little loose at the bottom end compared to the V4B. For a fairer comparison, we then plugged the V4B into the Fender neo 610 cab – at this point the two heads sounded more similar than before but the V4B still had a little fatter bottom end while the Fender was more open and transparent through the upper mids. Remember I like a clean tone so I wasn’t cranking either amp insanely, and no doubt playing with eq could have made either amp closer to the other – nonetheless each did have a clearly identifiable character of its own. I also think (and I have posted this before in other threads) that the Fender Super Bassman 300 is closer in tone to the Ampeg tone than the 100T, possibly because it uses 6550s – but that is purely an opinion and another can of worms .
    Would I buy a V4B? Yes, definitely. Would I buy one instead of the Fender – I don’t know. The Fender is more versatile, to my eyes looks a little better/flasher (sorry Jimmy) and has a few features such as the silent record and 25/100watt power option that really does make it value for money. But the V4B does “that” tone that I hear in my dreams instantly, and it makes me smile. Both superb amps IMO, and probably if the V4B had been available when I bought the two Bassmans I would have bought one of each. How’s that for sitting on the fence?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fishinmuzician

fishinmuzician

Thanks Tim,

Must have missed that page. I'll still try to hook up with Soxhats for the personal experience and post my thoughts.

7. I am Soma

8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    if you do the shootout I'd be especially interested in differences in clean headroom (real or perceived) as we'll as the transition into overdrive and the overdrive character.

9. I am Soma

and i'm looking for for cranked tube distortion goodness in comparison :)

10. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

I concur. I have both and am keeping both. If you want to choose one or the other, there is no wrong answer.

Dan

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    so...uh.... Dan, wanna enlighten us as to how they compare?

12. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

I think they can be EQed to sound similar to each other, particularly with the Fender "overdrive" channel. Running that channel clean, you can dial in some midrange punch that has been lacking in Fender's bass amps until now. The power is the same. The Fender is a little more versatile as Tim mentioned due to the 25/100W switch and the silent record mode with the DI coming after the power tube section.

As I said, I really like both of them and either is suitable for a variety of gigs, with the Fender getting the nod for studio work due to being able to run it with no cab hooked up.

The blond/oxblood Fender I have is a looker and the vintage style of the Ampeg would be hard to improve on. Pick one. You can't lose. Or buy both! That was my solution.

Dan