1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender 1983 Bullet Bass Short Scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

I just got a job promotion! So, now i want a new bass...

[​IMG]

One of THEE basses i have always wanted is an '83 (birth year!) Fender Bullet Short Scale.

BUT, there's very little info (that i can find) on them. I know that both Fender and Squier were making Bullets, and i also know that they came in both 30" and 34" scales... can anyone confirm that in 1983, Fender made short scale Bullet basses??

Thanks!

:bassist:

2. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

3. Mushroo

Mushroo

I used to own a 1982 MIJ Squier Bullet Bass (converted to fretless). It was a great bass! It was definitely 34" scale, though, sorry. Maybe Fender also made a 30"?

4. Crater

Crater

Yes, they did. I *almost* bought one, in fact I had it on layaway at a local music store. In one of those watershed moments, I decided to buy a Fender Bullet guitar instead. In 1983 the Squier brand was not sold in the US, the 'Bullet' line was Fender branded and I believe US made.

I don't remember if the one I was going to buy was 30" scale or 34" scale, it would have been my first bass. It had a small split pickup.

I've never seen one for sale at a Pawnshop or on Craigslist, if you really want one you'll probably have to buy off ebay.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Yes, mine came with a pickup that was similar to a P, but small and white with rounded plastic corners. The polepieces on mine weren't properly centered under the strings, so the sound was uneven, therfore I ended up replacing it. But that may have been a quality control problem on my specific bass, I do not know if it was a common flaw.

7. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Yeah, i knew they came with the same "mini-P" pickup that was/is used in Mustangs.

That's a bummer about QC issues... ESPECIALLY if Ebay is my only recourse.

I'll probably be better off biding my time, waiting for a TB Sale. That way, i'll have a much more likely chance of getting a good quality bass.

Thank you both for the heads up!

8. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I had one for a short time. USA 1983 short scale bullet. Ultimately, i was not impressed. IMHO you'd be better served with a Mustang - it's a similar package but a bit nicer quality.

9. Mushroo

Mushroo

My MIJ Squier Bullet was a solid "beater" instrument, I would recommend it without hesitation at the price (I paid $175) and the current owner I sold it to continues to be satified with it. So I do not want to give the misimpression there were "QC issues," just the standard imperfections you would expect with an entry-level instrument. Mine had a little bit of a weak A string before I replaced the pickup. Now that I am looking at photos of these online, I am not sure whether mine had the stock factory pickup. Mine had exposed polepieces, but the ones I see on Google Images do not. Did the pickup have a plastic cover or something that was removed by the previous owner? Mine had the frets removed and a bad refin; maybe they swapped the pickup too. Apologies if I gave bad advice.

If you're having trouble tracking one down on the used market, then you'll be equally happy with a new SX (essex) from Rondo Music, in my opinion/experience. That is what I replaced the Bullet with, a few years back.

10. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I've owned 3 SX basses and an SX guitar!

My SX short scale Jaguar is what made me sell off my CiJ Mustang and Squier Vista Musicmaster.

Well, now i'm bummed about quality... especially when the Fenders go for ~$700 on Ebay.

I think the big thing is that i want a 'birth year bass'. Back to the drawing board, i suppose!

11. Mushroo

Mushroo

I've never played the short-scale Fender Bullet, maybe it is totally worth $700, *especially* if the 30" is rare/collectable. (Mine was a modded 34" Squier as I mentioned; different animal. I sold mine for I think $250 a couple of years ago.)

When I say "I like X" I am not saying "Y is bad"---that is a common way of misreading things on the internet. ;) I just mentioned SX because I am a satisfied customer and I happen to know they make 30" scale Fender-style instruments.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I had a full scale MIJ Bullet cool bass. I don't think a SS Bullet with those pups would sound so well but I have been wrong before.

13. alzabass

alzabass Supporting Member

I have a 1984 Mij Squier Bullet. , sunburst , maple neck , all original. Good condition , no issues , would love to trade for a Geddy Lee, or similar bass

14. RobSatFender

RobSatFender Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Director, Customer Service, Fender
    i recall these as being pretty decent for what they were aimed at.....nicer finishes than the Musicmaster from around the same time....played about the same.
    Here's a little info

cheers,
    rob

Model Name: Bullet Bass® B-30 (aka Bullet Bass Deluxe)
    Model Number: 019-1102
    Series: Bullet Series
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Maple
    Frets: 20
    Scale Length: 30”
    Width @ Nut: 1.625” (41.3 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome Standard
    Machine Heads: Vintage Style
    Bridge: Vintage Style
    Pickguard: 1-Ply White
    Pickups: 1 Split Single-Coil Pickup
    Pickup Switching: None
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Colors: (515) Red,
    (549) Ivory,
    Custom Finishes also Offered
    (506) Black,
    (522) Walnut,
    (532) Brown Sunburst
    Strings: Dynamaxx 1200L
    Other Features: Tele Bass Headstock,
    White Knobs and Pickup Covers,
    Black Dot Position Inlays
    Source: U.S.
    Accessories: None
    U.S. MSRP: $329.00 to $359.00
    INTRODUCED: 1982
    DISCONTINUED: 1983
    DISCONTINUED COLORS:
    WRENCH SIZES:
    COMMENTS:
    NOTICE: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice