Fender: 5 bolt precision neck on 4 bolt body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeWfromNJ, Feb 8, 2014.

1. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

Possibly asked prior but my searching skills are poor.

I'm aware that all P necks will fit in a J body a along as it's not the old-ass Sting era square bottom, but will a 5 bolt Fender Deluxe neck fit in a 4 bolt Jazz bass body; albeit with some re-drill? Any issues/problems, recommended against?

Thanks!
  2. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

I'm gonna say no. The Deluxe neck has 21 frets. All kinds of intonation problems would be a result. Plus the neck would require routing out the pocket to make it fit.
  3. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

Thanks. Being new at 'attempting' to cobble together a Bass, I didn't even realize the extra fret; I have all J bases at the moment with the exception of a Tony Franklin Fretless which is of course, fretless!

I guess if they are both 34" scale then the pocket on the Precision Deluxe must have a deeper pocket and that was the routing you were talking about?

Thanks.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Yes
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's the issue. The 21 fret neck would be positioned where the 20 fret neck was before. The neck should fit in the same pocket, with some minor sanding, as the heel widths are about the same. What you would have to do is move the bridge closer to the neck to compensate for the frets being pushed further away.
  7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have installed an earlier American Deluxe neck that had the 22 fret neck. Fender changed these to the 21 fret neck 2-3 years ago. The 22 fret neck, did not have fretboard overhang and it needs the bridge moved about 1 inch. I think the newer 21 fret neck has some fretboard overhang but I'm not sure. If so, it may be an easier installation.