Fender 59 Bassman RI vs AMPEG V-4BH

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by netman411, Nov 22, 2012.

1. netman411

netman411

I am trying to decide between a Fender 59 Bassman 4x10 Combo vs AMPEG V-4BH w/ 4X10 cab. I am playing in a 3 man blues band. The guitar player uses a tweed amp with a 12 " speaker. My '68 Bassman head played out of a 2X10 cab is good enough for the studio. However, we are taking the show on the road and I want something phat and blusey that will fill a small club. I am leaning toward the 59 Bassman RI but I'm not sure it will keep up as a bass amp. Also, I haven't played the Ampeg V-4BH to know if it will produce the deep blues tones I'm looking for. Any experience with these 2 amps would help. Thanks,
  2. Tim1

Tim1

No brainer I reckon. I have owned a 59 RI and it definitely won't cut it as a gigging bass amp. The V4B plus 410, by comparison, should be perfect for a 3 piece blues band in a small to medium club.
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The '59 Bassman reissue has a serious problem as a bass amp, especially if you're looking for "... something phat and blusey that will fill a small club...". The open back cabinet design leaves no support for the speakers. While I loved the '59 for sitting around the house with a single guitarist and no drummer, it was at the very edge if its limits.

Go for a real bass amp.

John
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I have a 59 Bassman. It will work for bass with a different speaker cabinet but not the 410 speakers that it comes with. It is a 50W amp.

Given the choice, I would go with the V4BH. It has an SVT-CL pre-amp mated with a smaller, 100W, power amp. The power supply is built to support the low end that you want for bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

If you like the Bassman sound, but want a full-featured bass amp, why not look at the Fender 100t with either the 4X10 or 1X15 cab? I think Fender designed those amps for guys like you! The new Bassman series has been getting rave reviews, look into those for sure.
  7. netman411

netman411

That's what I thought. Thanks,
  8. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Skip the V4BH and go straight for a vintage V4B. The V4BH has significantly smaller transformers than vintage and really doesn't do the low end justice compared to other Ampeg offerings. Even with an efficient, deeply voiced cab like an SWR Goliath I still feel that the V4BH is a rather anemic 100 watts. It's a great overdrive amp though.

I really liked the tone I got from a Geddy J and a '59 Bassman once but it's not a gigging bass amp.
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    It's a big difference indeed, I vastly prefer the old one, has anybody ever got to the bottom of which V4B's had a dual winding mains transformers as there are two schematics, one showing dual mains trans primaries and the other not, my son has just got one from the states and is using it with a step down transformer at the mo has anybody got a pic of the actual wiring?.
    Sorry to the original poster for the divert but anyway get an old V4b:hyper: it will be loud enough and it will sound Fooking great if you give it enough speakerage.
  10. netman411

netman411

I saw a vintage V4B advertised for $700. What should I look for besides the obvious; hum, scratchy pots, etc?
  11. spacebassed

spacebassed

I wouldn't recommend either of those amps for what you're looking to do, but of the two the V4BH will be closer to doing what you want. Even though a '59 Bassman was originally made as a bass amp they are still being made mostly because they appeal to guitar players - bass amplification technology has come a LONG way since then. the first thing i'd recommend is trying your '68 Bassman through a larger cabinet. i used a '68 Bassman through an Ampeg 810 pretty successfully for many years - loved the tone. If you're set on buying a new amp I'd greatly prefer a vintage V4B over the 90's V4HB, but if i was going to lug one of those around I'd just go ahead and get an SVT.:D

...and as far as buying an old Ampeg, those things were built like tanks - just check the obvious things you would with any amp, and you'll probably want to replace the filter caps if it hasn't already been done.
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

which you will be reminded of every time you go to move it :cool:
  13. stiles72

stiles72

I gig a V4BH with a 215 in a classic rock group, competing with a Marshall half stack, and am often told by the soundman I need to turn down. Should make a great amp for you
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

This
    I have a 100T and use it for Blues and R&B with 1 or 2 15's
    It is a great amp and only 48 pounds
  15. spacebassed

spacebassed

netman, there's a 70's V4b listed in the classifieds - just thought i'd give you a heads-up.
  16. netman411

netman411

Thanks Spacedbassed but it was sold just about the time you posted. I will keep looking.
  17. spacebassed

spacebassed

bummer... I figured it wouldn't last very long, good price for a freshly serviced amp. I'd look into getting a Sunn 2000s cabinet or something similar with two JBL D140f's or K140's - you might be surprised at what that Bassman can do.
  18. netman411

netman411

With the V4B I was looking for a little more horsepower for gigs while keeping the vintage tube tone. Maybe a different cab with the Bassman would do it, hmm...that's something to think about.
  19. acubass

acubass

I loved running my V4BH into a 410he for 3 piece blues. The only time I ever ran out of steam was on outside stages with No PA support. That was only one gig.

I had zero problems getting a low sound out of it.

I never ran the vintage V4B through that cab but I ran them both thru an ampeg 115 and the V4BH was a much better fit. The chassis on the V4BH is also much friendlier.
  20. spacebassed

spacebassed

I personally LOVE the way 15's sound in a blues band. To me, those Sunn 2000s cabinets with the JBL D140f's are THE sound - especially when paired with a Fender Bassman or Dual Showman. Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead) used Fender Showmen through those cabs, so did Jack Cassady (Jefferson Airplane), but he also used a Versatone to add the grit you hear in his tone. Berry Oakley (Allman Brothers Band) used a Sunn and later a Fender 400ps through them. Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix Experience) and Stu Cook (CCR) also used them. I was happy with the tone I was getting with my Bassman through an Ampeg 810 (the stock 2x15" Fender cabinet was awful), but when I came across a Sunn cab and plugged in... THERE IT WAS - the sound I'd been hearing for years but could never quite get. And keep in mind those JBL's are very efficient speakers so you can get more volume out of fewer watts, even if you do get to the point where the Bassman's 50 watts doesn't cut it, you can still use the cab with a V4b or something similar.

Berry Oakley w/ the Allman Brothers Band:

21. netman411

netman411

Good suggestion. I like that 60's SF sound, very heavy man. I will keep my eyes open for a Sunn 2X15 cab and some JBLs. If anyone has one for sale with or without speakers let me know.