Fender 60th anniversary P-Bass *Need help identifying*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cookiekelly, Feb 19, 2014.

1. cookiekelly

cookiekelly

Recently purchased this bass second hand, and am trying to find info on it. It is a lovely bass. I bought it as Fender 60th anniversary p bass, but no online searches yield any images or information on a model with candy apple red and a gold pickguard. Has it been modified? Or is the bass another model? Thanks in advance

[​IMG]
  2. Bobster

Bobster

3. cookiekelly

cookiekelly

Yeah i think so. The serial number is MX11170194

Are there any people out there who can perhaps figure it out from the serial number?

By the way, this is my first forray into this this site, so thanks for the reply :)
  4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Any model for the 2011 year had the 60th anniversary neckplate, to be clear.

There's only one 60th anniversary Precision MODEL, though:
    [​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cookiekelly

cookiekelly

Ah that certainly helps, mine has the neckplate, there in lies the confusion!
    Again, the serial number is MX11170194 if anyone is able to use this to let me know nay further info
  7. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

looks like a Standard model with the anodized guard and covers added
  8. cookiekelly

cookiekelly

It does really. Although the front of the headstock has a glossy finish, and the serial number is only on the back of the headstock. Is this also stock for the standard model?
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

What you have is a "Fender 60th Anniversary" Precision bass. This model celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Fender company.

What you're confusing it with is a Fender "60th Anniversary Precision bass". This model celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Precision bass.
  10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Actually, according to the model and serial number, it's neither.

The 60th anniversary Fenders were from 2006, no? (Being that Fender was founded in 1946.) The serial number indicates it's a 2011 Mexican-made model. Plus, the font on the headstock indicates its one of the post 2010 MIM Standards.

We already know it's not the MIA Fender 60th Anniversary P Bass, because it's not what is pictured above.

However, all Precision models produced in 2011 have the Precision Bass 60th anniversary commemorative neckplate. My 2011 Fender American Standard P5 has it, as does my 2011 FSR MIM Precision.

Here's a video from NAMM '11 where some Fender guy details the 60th Anniversary Precision, then says that all Ps from 2011 will have the neckplate (around 1:34) -
  11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Ah. I just assumed it was an '06. I didn't look up the serial number. Not only did I not do that, but I didn't know that Fender put that neckplate on ALL the 2011 Precisions.