1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender 60th Anniversary Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lobster11, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been very proud of myself for having kept my G.A.S. under control for a considerable time recently, but now I'm finding myself obsessing over the new "60th Anniversary P-Bass" as reviewed in the August 2011 BP Mag. If you're not familiar with it, here's the official Fender page for it:

http://www.fender.com/products/60th-pbass

I've never had an MIA P-bass, but have long thought that if I did (i.e, once I do), I'd want one with a (natural) ash body and maple neck. Check. I love the look of this thing, and the interesting combination of different features from different periods. Check. But reviews on the interscapes are few and far between -- presumably because it is still pretty fresh on the market -- and I've found precious few comments about it here on TB.

So, has anyone had a chance to check these out? The BP Mag review was quite positive, but I really want to hear more player reviews before pulling the trigger with this kind of dough involved (about $1500 everywhere). Any comments would be much appreciated!
  2. DTF

DTF Supporting Member

I played one it was cool , but i wouldnt spend anywhere near 1500 for it id buy an avri for that $$$$$$$
  3. Lobster11

Thanks for the feedback. But why? Say more, please....
  4. Mike M.

Mike M.

A few weeks ago I tried one out. Wasn't looking to buy....just looking.

While I thought it was a cool looking bass as well as a great player (a really great player at that) I personally wouldn't spend that much on that particular bass. (But that's just me). If I was looking to spend that much money on a bass I'd get something that I personally would consider to be more versatile, like the American Deluxe P bass. P/J pickup combination and the active electronics with the active/passive switch.

To me, a bass like that would give you a lot more bang for the buck as opposed to the 60th Anniversary for roughly the same price.

But again, that's just my opinion.
  5. DTF

DTF Supporting Member

the most important factor to me is the feel of the neck , the neck on the bass youre looking at is an american std, you can buy a brand new black/maple am std for 800 dollars from hello music right now , the only feature besides asthetics the 60th anny P has that i really like is the a string retainer , the bass is beautiful but I prefer a vintage radius and vintage frets
  6. Lobster11

All very helpful comments -- thanks! Since reading these I've been doing a little more research on both American Standard and the various Reissue basses, and will of course make sure to get my hands on as many of these as possible for comparison. So far, though, none of these other options look better given my particular tastes and preferences, including natural ash body, maple neck, nitro finish (with, I think, satin finish on back of neck -- can anyone confirm this?), etc. It seems like they put together in this bass the particular combination of features that happen to float my particular boat. The biggest question is whether I'm going to like the neck profile (i.e., of either the 60th bass or the current American Standard) once I get my hands on one.

Anyone else have experience with or thoughts about this bass? Every little bit of info will help....
  7. cambio2

cambio2 Supporting Member

Im looking to get one too and hope to try on out this weekend at a local shop. The one thing I think helps its value is the nitro finish with modern features (neck radius, profile/frets/HMV bridge/side input jack) Ive gotten a few quotes from dealers to build my "dream Fender P-Bass" of which would have a side input jack, modern neck features as stated above and a nitro finish. All prices from 3 dealers came in from $3395.00 and up.
    so the $1499.00 to me, isn't a bad price. I dont think it will have much collectability for a long time. Musicians Friend had a 15% off sale last week which would have made it $1275.00 shipped with 45 day return no questions asked. They and Git Center always have sales like that. Git Center had some made in 2 tone sunburst, for same price, check out the Platinum section at Guitar center Im not trying to push the big box, buy local if you can! Im sure they'l be showing up used on ebay soon too for prop. around $1000.00
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Too many mixed styling ques on that for me.
    I'd either go 51 reissue, or, standard P.

If it floats your boat though, carry on.
  9. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Agreed. Thought I liked it, but the modern headstock, pickup, and contoured body just don't look quite right with the '51 PG.
  10. cassius987

cassius987

I played one of these in Boulder last weekend plus a bunch of other Fenders. The tone seemed brighter, I have no idea why (pickup height could be an issue), but otherwise functionally identical to the other P Basses I played in that store. It sounded good but I'd sooner get an MIA standard, or an MIA Deluxe--I just don't like the Deluxe having onboard EQ, but the active buffering is nice.
  11. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

The Highway One series seems to be discontinued but those featured thin lacquer finish, high mass bridge (Bad Ass), the same neck profile and frets (although available only in rosewood). A plus is that they have graphite reinforced necks.

I tried out a couple of these new 60th Anniversary P’s at two different times and locations. The first one blew me away and I wanted to immediately buy it. The second seemed less appealing and not any superior to the Highway One hanging beside it (half the price – used but in great condition).

It’s unique in its look and features but I think it is overpriced, frankly. As you note, wait until they start popping up on eBay….
  12. Lobster11

Can anyone who has tried one confirm that it has a "satin" finish on the back of the neck? That would be worth a few extra points....
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    #400 sandpaper is cheap;)
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

MSRP means Manufacture's 'suggested' retail price. So, try one out at a GC or your fav retailer, and say; "I dug it. I'll pay 'x' for it." They either accept or counter offer. If you can wait until inventories pile up a bit, and they will with Fender, you'll eventually get a new one at a price you're willing to pay.

It works for me almost every time at my local GC. I have also been a long time customer there.
  15. bh2

bh2

Fender seems to have gone totally 'mix n' match' lately...

Wrong headstock, wrong pup, wrong bridge, no slab body... it's not really a 60th anniversary IMO.

Prob a fine bass though.
  16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I don't see anything special on that bass at all. The bridge looks kinda hokey. You could get a natural finish body and put it together with all of those same parts for under $800. $1500 for such a simple instrument seems pretty ridiculous to me.... But that me and I must be a little crazy for not spending thousands on an instrument that has one pickup and nothing special construction or electronics wise.
  17. cambio2

IMO, being a Standard American, good chance they will be all over the scale with weight, and somewhat with quality. I too am looking for a lighter one. One thing I might do is buy 2 or 3 at Musicians friend when they have there 15% deal again (free ship/no tax)...
    then choose which one works best for me and send the other 2 back (only pay ship, have 45 days to do so) full credit refund, no questions asked. (I live in a remote area hours from any music store.) as far as the cosmetic design, that is purely subjective to the beholder, if you like it, then there it is, who cares what anyone else says. If you dont like it, thats cool too, dont buy one. If you are looking for something authentic to the original 51, then order up a $3,000-$5000.00 custom shop and get what you want!
    thats why I think the price is fair. I hate those plastic flight cases though!!!
  18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

"60th Anniversary" doesn't mean "Vintage reissue". There is no "wrong" in the styling cues of this bass. It's right, because Fender decides what it's going to be.
  19. cambio2

yah really, I mean, what is a 60th anniversary? Its not like fender had a 60th anniversary in the past. It's probably based a cool sell-able design with a price point to sell as many as they can before 2012! ka-ching!
  20. bh2

bh2

Yes... it's a 'marmite' bass.