1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender 62 AVRI Jazz

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Greyfin10, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

This is a bass I got in trade a month or two back. It's every bit as great a player as you would want... smooth, fast, and great passive tone. I'm just coming to the conclusion that I have to have a carbon graphite neck in Florida (plus I'm used to the tone of Active Graphite I think).

Meanwhile, an FB4 has come up elsewhere, and I'm thinking I'd best pounce while I can. So, without further adieu:

'62 American Vintage Reissue - Lake Placid Blue
    Tweed hardshell case
    Ashtray, Pickup cover, and original strap buttons (has Schaller buttons, if you don't use/need, let me know and I'll swap 'em out before I send).
    Someone mentioned this came with a tug bar... if so, it had disappeared before I received it.

It's got what appears to be several years of moderate use... not a case queen, but not abused. If you are picky about such things, ask for more pics (I will oblige). Note: after the request for the year below, I took the neck off. This either caused a small amount of lift in the paint around the neck plate OR it was there all along. If anyone needs more detail on this, let me know and I'll shoot some pics.

Please note, due to the above, and in response to various questions, I've posted details on flaws, see further down page for pictures and comments.

The case came to me with broken latches that I replaced myself. This left me with some extra parts (the lower latches for both, rivets, and the rivet punch) that I'll include with the case if you want them.

$925 Shipped. No trades unless you come bearing a Modulus 4 string of some stripe (would be willing to kick in a bit in that case)! Continental U.S. only, etcetera.

Pictures (click for larger images)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    202   0   0

Very nice.
  3. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Sweet!

Year and weight please!
  4. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

From the little I know, I have to take the neck off right? Let me do a little additional looking to see if I can avoid it... I'll definitely get back to you either way...
  5. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Weight is 9 lbs 3 oz though. Stand by for the other.
  6. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Well, in what appears to be pen at the very end of the base of the neck is "8/19/99". On the back of the neck (hidden behind the neck plate) is a label that is rather faded but has "Sep 16 1999" machine printed and a blue S in marker of some sort. Below that in the wood is 62 JB (in pen again) and printed "MARTIN G".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that answers your questions. Taking the neck either caused a small amount of lift in the paint around the neck plate OR it was there all along. If anyone needs more detail on this, let me know and I'll shoot some pics.
  7. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

As I mentioned before... the paint around the neck plate lifted somwhat when I took the neck off...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two dings... one surface, one through paint (surface is above pickguard near neck, almost invisible, and the one that is through the paint is below the pickguard below knobs)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a question about frets and while I thought they were completely clean, the first few frets have a small bit of wear.
    [​IMG]

These scratches are odd... best way I can describe them is like "cellulite looks on skin". Maybe something was left on the bass in the case at some point? Hard to see or picture, but there, above the bridge pickup several inches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These scratches are all from the bridge cover/bridge cover screws.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tiny little nick on heel of neck... almost didn't bother with this one. You can't feel it.
    [​IMG]

Original strap buttons
    [​IMG]

Bridge and pickup covers are clean... probably because nobody ever uses them? Could be. Apparently this bass came with a tug bar at one point? The holes are there, but it came to me without said bar.
    [​IMG]
  8. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    86   0   1

Disclosures:
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair
    Somebody buy this thing!
  9. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Yes!

Great detail and pics and I wish I could swing it. Somebody please buy this so the temptations will stop!!
  10. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

$925 Shipped
  11. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

0   0   0

That's a great bass and a terrific price, somebody grab it already!
  12. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

Dmn I want this. Free bump
  13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

It's fun to check out cool basses.

A question, is it worth it to take the neck off the validate a bass? It seems that this is the type of thing someone did once 30 years ago and now its a hoop buyer seem to put sellers through.

And as an example we have this sale here. The neck came off, the paint suffered ( no surprise here) and the "buyer" didn't buy.

When I was younger I would take anything apart I could get my hands on. Now I see bass that's been together for 50 years and the last thing I want to do is molest it.
  14. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Well, the sad thing is, if I'd waited five minutes, someone gave me an email address at Fender to send the serial no. and get info on the bass WITHOUT taking the neck off (thank you ShowLow). I wasn't actually crushed about that at the time, since I've always looked at this bass as a vintage player. It's value (in my opinion) is that it plays and looks like the pieces people freak out over, without the need to freak out over it :)

I'll grant you, I wish it hadn't bubbled up, but the person who sees it like I do just hasn't noticed this thread yet. I'm confident this will sell, and when it does, luck willing, the buyer will know what they are getting and be pleased when they receive it ;)

15. kbaxter26

kbaxter26 Supporting Member

0   0   0

GAS...but way out of my league.
  16. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

I'm trying to find a way.. Just don't know how I could explain the credit card statement to wifey lol :)
  17. Mpacificar

Mpacificar

0   0   0

I'm scrambling like a NBA gm! Really would love this bass.
  18. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I had a question regarding the pickup and the paint (i.e. faded or not). So far as I can tell, the pickups look original (though I am not the original owner), and the paint appears to not be faded (sorry). But at any rate, some more pictures:

>>>>Click for larger pictures<<<<

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Bump - Going to Ebay tonight
  20. Greyfin10

Greyfin10