Fender 62 "original" pickup question ? Quality and packing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by glenson, Nov 19, 2012.

1. glenson

glenson Supporting Member

I just ordered a set of these on ebay. Today they arrived and when i opened the plastic case that they came in, they literally fell apart in my hands. The wire insulation was dirty and flaky (almost gritty) and the solder points are very flimsy and one point of solder already came apart.

Has anybody purchased these and is this typical. Ive bought seymour duncans in the past and they were much more solid in construction. Thanks for any comments. I'll likely send them back and wonder if i should just ask for replacement or a refund. They were from a smaller shop and not the big box guys

I

T
  2. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

Mine were in perfect shape. If you got them off ebay, I'd be a little suspicious, because their condition just doesn't sound right.
  3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Mine were in perfect shape too.
  4. glenson

Heres some pics that i took..

Notice the dirty white insulation..

Attached Files:

5. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I've bought two of these pickups within the last couple of years and everything was exactly as it should be. The Fender '62 reissue is a very popular Precision pickup and is generally considered a "best buy". Was the set you got off of eBay sold as new?
  6. glenson

Sold as new..thats why i was puzzled to dee the white insulation being so dirty..ive gotban email in to return them

Ill get another set from either gc or mf..never had a problem with them
  7. SRCRS

SRCRS

i got mine on new on ebay from musicians friend and they were in perfect shape
  8. cstar

cstar

Hmm, I am with the others. I bought a set of 62 RI for my jazz and they looked great out of the box. The solder points did seem flimsy, but they weren't broken and have held up great. Again, everything was as it should be really. I suspect foul play.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes

The black lead out of the pickup should not have come loose from the baseplate solder joint. Get your $$ back if you can.
  10. narud

narud Supporting Member

did you take a soldering iron to the pickup? all the eyelets have melted wax from reflowing solder so if they came like that its definitely used.
  11. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    bought about 6 of these. always perfect shape.
  12. glenson

Thanks everyone. Great forum. Confirms what i thought..