Fender 62 Original pickup Vs. Custom Shop 60's Split coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GKR1, Feb 24, 2014.

1. GKR1

GKR1

Hello, I could not find the answer. Are these pickup the same creature, Fender 62 Original pickup same as Custom Shop 60's Split coil?

The original is used on the AVRI 62 Pbass, and the Custom Shop one used on the new american standards.

How do they differ? or the same?

Thanks
  2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Having heard both, I would say that the '62 have a bit more growl and the Custom Shop 60's have a smoother response with a little bit of mid scoop. They are distinctly different, both good and useful.
  3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I only have two basses with the Custom Shop 60's that are from the American Standard series. I found them to have a brightness or sharp biting tone compared the the host of '62 "originals" that I have used which (for me) have been the smoother of the two. Sorry for the contrary opinion.
    However....it could be that the two that I have with the CS 60's pups are also maple fretboards, while the bulk of the '62 "originals" are rosewood......
    I like the CS 60's as the remind me of some of the 70's grey-bottom pups that I have.
  4. GKR1

GKR1

Thanks for the info, I just picked up a AVRI 62, and I already have a Standard with the custom shop 60s' on it. I'm glad to hear there is delta between the 2 pickups. I love my standard tone, it's also maple board. Looking forward to hear the AVRI 62 with rosewood, wider neck, Nitro, and low mass bridge.

Thanks
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I am past fed up with Fender's endless and inscrutable pickup iterations, versions, variations, vintages, slicing and dicing nonsense. Enough so that it's simply become background noise.
  7. GKR1

GKR1

I think that is how they sale products by tweaking few things and renaming.
  8. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I figure they are really in the business of making a quality bass that suits the standards they invented, but pickups are so personal. They probably shoot for a broad approach and leave specializing to the user. As a result they end up with something that blows no one away. Overall I think the build quality of the American Standard has been excellent for some time.
  9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I go by the wood only these days. I have my aftermarket pickup preferences and if I'm unhappy with stock pickups I switch out based on the usage intentions for the bass. I'm looking forward to trying the Geezer Butler EMGs, not because I'm a rabid Sabbath fan (that was my younger days) but because I think he has a great sound. Anyway, I'm sad that it's come to a point where everything is so chopped up and unpredictable, but that's the state of the market and truly, instrument quality is better than ever in general. Shame that Fender plays on our trivialities like they do, IMO.
  10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

The first bass I put the newer 60's CS into was as a temporary measure until I had a set of 70's pups rewound. I ended up using the 70's pups in another project because I was very happy with the sound of the 60's pups and I did not want to put that at "risk". I had not actually gone looking to get these either. They came in a "loaded" body that I was using for another project and they were just convenient. A nice surprise actually. Now I am not on the hunt for 60's CS pups for every bass I own but if/when I have them on hand, I would not hesitate to use them.