1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender 7150

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumper828, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Thumper828

Thumper828

Does any one have any experience with the fender 7150 pure nickel roundwounds? What are your thoughts?
  2. robfitz1968

robfitz1968

Cant say about those, but I just tried a set of 7350XL that totally rock. The best part is the price:bassist: Listed as a new Item on Musicians Friend:hyper:
  3. steamthief

steamthief

I have a set on my backup P - pretty smooth to the touch, nice tension (I prefer hexcores) deep with subdued high end. A little low on output, imho, due to the pure nickel, but that's what the volume knob is for, right?
  4. eyecandy

eyecandy

well 7150, are warm they have slightly cut highs
  5. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

I use them on my p bass.....sounds great!
  6. Thumper828

Thumper828

Made the order from MF. Have a set of Fender 7150 (.45-.105) on the way. I think Ive spent 2 months trying to figure out what type I wanted. I bet Ive read every read ever review for all !,789 different strings lol. Thanks to all who give advice and tips. Will update as soon as I get them on My Ibanez SR500. Oh yeah, ordered one of -The-String-Cleaner-for-Bass and a Fast-Axe-Multipurpose-Guitar-Cleaning-Brush. Let you Know how they work. Thanks again!
  7. eyecandy

eyecandy

always wipe your strings before and after playing.. even without cleaners they'd sure last..
  8. Tusec

Tusec

I just put a set of 7150s on my J yesterday. Very impressed with them so far. The GHS Boomers (Flea Signature) I had on before were giving me some weird unmusical metallic overtones. None of that going on with the Fenders. I also like their gold colored silks.
  9. Thumper828

Thumper828

oh man. I was really not wanting silk ends.Black maybe but gold. Wonder what thats gonna look like.
  10. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I've used them on various basses through the years, and have been impressed with their tone and smoothness. Makes for a really great fretless set.
  11. Tusec

Tusec

It looks good IMO. The color is similar to the natural maple on the headstock, so they blend in. The effect is actually very understated and nice.

Then again, I have a sunburst so they fit the overall scheme. Might not work with as well with other colors.
  12. Thumper828

Thumper828

It might be alright then. I was thinking bright yellow. Ill soon find out. Ill post some pics,hopfully in a day or two. Looking foward to seeing what they sound like. Hope there "warmer" than the elixirs.
  13. Tusec

Tusec

Here's my headstock:

[​IMG]

The flash makes them look a little glintier than they actually are, but it's close.
  14. Thumper828

Thumper828

Thanks for the Pic Tusec. They dont look at all as bright as i first thought. My Ibanez has a real dark headstock but the soundgear emblem is gold. Might look pretty good.Ill try to post some before and after pics. Heres one with my phone,
    [​IMG]
    does my bass no justice at all!
  15. Tusec

Tusec

Yeah, they might look good with the gold logo. There's a little bit of silk wrap at the ball end too, so you'd have a little bit of gold at both ends.
  16. Thumper828

Thumper828

Still waiting.
  17. Thumper828

Thumper828

Well, maybe tomorrow. Anyone ever tryed to dye or color their silks. Just a thought.
  18. Thumper828

Thumper828

Alright!!! Got My strings and got em on!! As I was hoping the sound right out of the box is awsome. Great lows and the highs are really clear not too....."tingy". The light colored silks look fair, would be better black but hey.... The tension is about the same the Elixirs. I was hoping for more tension so I could lower the action a little but I like the tone. Oh yeah, dont know why but there was always a little hiss coming out of my my Fender Rumble 100. Now it is dead silent. No hiss or hum what so ever. Wonder if the coating on the Elixirs were causing a small ground problem? If so glad I didnt opt for tapewounds. Ny way, heres some pics once again taken with my crappy cell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics aint that good. Oh well Hope Ive heped somebody as yall have helped me.
  19. Surly

Surly

Search and you will find a lot of Fender 7150 lovers. They're basically the classic Fender sounding roundwound, less harsh than most rounds. Their output is lower than regular nickel rounds, but that's why amps and pedals have volume knobs. The mediums are stiffer, so some prefer the L's.
  20. Thumper828

Thumper828

Really diggin these strings. Volume was not effected at all. After playing them a bit they seem a little stiffer than the elixirs. The tone is really nice. The bass string cleanig tool is neat. seems like it does a good job on the frets and fingerboard also.