fender 9050 flats vs chromes for JB?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by solitario, Feb 10, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

hi, I use fender 9050sl (40-100) flats with my ric and love them.

now I want to give flats a chance with my jb. anybody have try chromes and fenders 9050 with a JB? will any of them fit better for rock/hard rock? whats the diference in sound?

thank you

2. solitario

solitario

3. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

I have never used the fender flats, but I do play with chromes. I use a p/j and the chromes are great for rock styles. They are bright and clanky and I can tone them down for a motownish feel. The songs I play with a pick sound real good too. For the cheap price that the chromes sell for, you should go ahead and give them a try and see if you like them or not. No one can tell you what will sound good to you. I think Ed Freidland does a review of the chromes on youtube.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

IME Chromes are not all that different from the current Fender 9050 flats. Chromes might be a little brighter, but that edge doesn't last, and on a JB you can just favor the bridge pickup if you need bite.

Since you really like the 9050SL set, I'd stick with it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. backup

backup

i use fender flats (L) on my vm jazz and they sound amazing. and they get so much better after a while.
    they are quite similar to chromes, not as bright though.
    you can't go wrong with fender flats. especially since you're using them already

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

My bass is sort-of a P/J, with a different pickup instead of a P. The New Fender Flats, especially the 9050CL set 45-60-80-105, are THE set that converted me from rounds to flats after playing for almost 37 years. They are growly instead of ping/thud like Chromes are. On another thread, another forumite did a spectrum analysis that shows the resonant frequency of the Fender Flats as being @600Hz, getting growl, in contrast to the Chromes' resonant frequency of @200Hz, which gives more thud.

I have gigged consistently with the same set on the bass for about two years now. They just won't die. They have the best longevity of any electric bass string I have ever played. They feel absolutely consistent. They are tonally consistent from string-to-string and up the neck. I am notorious for killing E strings since my body chemistry doesn't like nickel, and for rounds I always purchased a spare E string along with a set to change out when it would die before the rest of the set. I don't do that with Fender Flats. I have the same E string on. They growl when you want them to. You can roll off the tone and they can get mellow as you need them to. They are less expensive on the street than Chromes. They are the best value for money of any set out there I have ever played. I use them for everything from Friday night through Sunday morning.

I have tried every set of flats out there in the last 37 years, and always went back to rounds, until this set. As far as gauges, for twenty-plus years I have always had to purchase singles to get the intermediate gauges I wanted on the D & A strings, until this set came along with the gauges and feel that I desired.

Did I tell you I like these strings? I'm now 51. I've experimented with everything out there. It's time for me to stop experimenting and just play. These strings just play. Period.

I disagree with the above: to me, they have a significant difference in tone and feel compared to the Chromes. But I do agree the "ping" or "edge" on Chromes doesn't last long at all, and you're left with thud. A good thud, yes, for those who prefer that tone, but thud nonetheless.

8. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Good info iiipopes. I think I will try a set of the 9050cl flats next time. I like the chromes, but they do die fast. And so does the sustain. Which has me changing my strings every 4-6 weeks. I've always been leery of trying out flats because of the constant disappointment.

9. solitario

solitario

Never heard of growl with flats before. In my ric sound really nice but can't talk about growl... Maybe I have to lower them a bit... Maybe the amp (ampeg)Maybe they sound different with the jb buy in the Ric sound deep and bassy, not growl. I will give them a try

10. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I hope you're selling or passing along those "used" chromes! They're just STARTING to sound how most people want them at 6 weeks.

11. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

No, I keep them. I still like the sound they get, for certain styles, just not for my current project.

12. solitario

solitario

Do You think chromes are the flats that sounds more like rounds?

13. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    I've been pretty disappointed with the new Fender flats as compared to the D'Addario Chromes. I switched those Fenders out to two different basses with great pickups, and they just made anything I put them on sound like garbage. I'm sure the original formula ones were great, but since D'Addario bought them out and made them their "budget line" of strings, they have been rather unimpressive to me. I'd get the Chromes.

14. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

D'Addario bought Fender strings out? What?

15. backup

backup

i've never heard of this either

16. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

It was rumoured that D'Addario making private label strings for the newly formulated Fender line up but that was denied by Fender and d'Addario. Who knows?

17. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I really like the La Bella 760FL flats I've had on my Jazz for a few years now. Might consider those too.

18. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

If you love them on Bass A, why wouldn't you just use them on Bass B? Why muddy the waters?

(I prefer GHS Precision flats myself.)

19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

The newer Fenders (with the suspiciously D'Addario colored ballends) are hex core, while the previous 9050s (green silk, untinted ends) were roundcore. They sound quite different.

20. famousbirds

famousbirds

I used Chromes on my JB until I found the Fender flats. Like RCCollins says, they are similar, but I found the Fender to be a little fatter and less scooped-sounding than the Chromes.

21. Lakbass

Lakbass

I just put on a new set of 9050M on my P-bass and so far I like them a lot, actually better than the Chromes (ECB-82).
    They seem to be a bit more sturdy and stable in the sound, if that makes sense. And less bright than chromes (me like).
    And the E-string is very stable, which is not my experience with chromes. E-strings are usually the weak link in my world, if we're talking flats.
    Also, I really like the thick feel AND sound of the thicker D and G string.