1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewYorkSamurai, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NewYorkSamurai

NewYorkSamurai

I read the reviews of this bass here on talkbass. I sat down with this bass yesterday morning in Guitar Center and messed around for a bit. I'm far too new at this to know what to look for, but I do know that I really like this bass. It's going for $650 and I'm willing to shell out that sort of cash for a good bass guitar, but I want to make sure that this bass is worth $650.

I've only really played on one bass guitar. A Peavey Milestone that my friend gave to me in March, on which I've been teaching myself. It's got some missing/broken pieces, but it works. I want to invest in my own new guitar and I don't see the point in buying a new cheap ****** one, or a used one with dents and dings in it.

What's your opinion on the Aerodyne Jazz for a first new bass?
    Also, i can't find out if this bass's pickups are active or passive.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It's a passive bass, and if you like it, that's all that matters. I had one, paid $700, new, so use your judgement on the price. For me, it didn't fit, but like I said, if you like it, no reason not to have it. Good luck.
  3. supersnake52

supersnake52

For a first new bass?

I'd say go for it, sounds very reasonable.

You might want to try it out first to make sure you like it though
  4. Double Agent

Double Agent

I love Aerodynes. They sound great. The only thing I would be careful of is the binding on the body. For some people, it digs into their forearm while they are playing which can be annoying and sometimes painful over long periods of time. Before you buy it, sit down with one and pay attention to how your forearm sits on the body and see if that something that might be a problem down the road. Other than that, I think they are really nice basses for the money.
  5. team180b

team180b

I'm in love with my Aerodyne Jazz, I've got some Ernie Ball Rounds on it and it's a killer bass.
  6. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

id stick with it. theyre pretty nice, i played on once. but i dont like how they only have black in america. i hope someday they bring the colored ones over from japan just like they did w/the sunburst jagbasses
  7. jimbilly

jimbilly

I've got a Aerodyne Strat and it's awesome, and I've had a few other Japanese Fenders, including a Jazz bass (non Aerodyne). That being said: I think they're a bargain, I always like Japanese Fenders, great consistency, I've never played one I didn't like, -seriously. I think the Aerodyne Jazz's go for about $400 used, maybe a bit more?, -don't be afraid of used gear.
  8. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

hmm...they make the fender guitars that are aerodyne only in japan dont they??:confused:
  9. NewYorkSamurai

NewYorkSamurai

the aerodyne precision is so much more expensive. why is that?
  10. heavychevy

heavychevy

I have an Aerodyne P bass in Trans blue...love it! Lightweight, great tone, easy to play.
  11. T'CharleS

T'CharleS

Precision shouldn't be higher-priced. Or it's an import since Japan has way more aerodynes than the rest of the world ever had...

Back on the subject of a good choice or not, I agree the only thing beyond personal choice is you have to be test if the way you play doesn't make the bound body dig into your arm (well, assuming you will sometimes sit to play, for it's not a problem when you're standing).

Other than that that bass is one of the most versatile passive I have ever played and it's good mad looks. It also tends to be lighter than on a normal jazz since there is noticeably less wood on the body.
    This being said not all aerodyne are soo light: mine is the heaviest I have ever tried since it weigh around 9lbs while most are under 8... But then again 9 is still acceptable for a jazz bass in my book as long as the bass is balanced, which is the case.

Oh yeah, the strat-like jack needs a little glue on the screw if you don't want any accident but that will cost you what, $1?

and if you need a visual reason to get one, I can only show you mine ;)
    [​IMG]
  12. 62bass

62bass

I've played a couple of them. They're pretty good sounding basses once you put on good strings. I do agree though that the body is not the most comfortable for playing a long night. And I wish it came in some other colour than black.
  13. Inverness

Inverness

The reason Aerodynes are so light is because their body is made of basswood. The tone is noticeably different from its alder/ash Jazz brothers - I also have a MIA Jazz 5 Deluxe. The binding does dig into your arm if you sit down, but that's about the only downside. It is a bit on the neck-heavy side because of the lighter body, but it's not something that is eminently noticeable when playing. Very easy to wear for a coupla hours. Oh! Yes, if you're going to use Schaller strap locks, be careful when removing the lock. As a result of the lighter wood, I think I've stripped the screw on the upper horn. :atoz:

I paid $400 for mine (used in fairly good condition) and then spent another $140 on pups (Duncan QP in the P, Hot Stacked J-bucker in the bridge), and I recommend this tonal upgrade unless you're playing like, y'know, smooth jazz or something. I also would like to get a new nut, but that's really minor. They go for, usually, $400 to $500 on the 'bay, so just keep that in mind. I think they are great deals for the money. Bass Player Mag called it a Fender "greatest hits" bass, and I'd agree.
  14. kraigo

kraigo

As a rule I hate P/J pickups for no rational reason what-so-ever. Yet I get GAS looking at the Aerodynes. It's a classy looking bass, which can be good or bad, depending on where you're playing/who you're playing with. I'm comfortable saying that the instrument itself is probably very good. Does it fit the image of who you want to be?

KO
  15. jk3

jk3

i traded in my MIA P-Bass for the Aerodyne and i havent looked back. I still really love the MIA P-Basses but the Aerodyne feels right for me.

it is a very well built bass.
  16. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I'm into the Aerodyne Jazz as well. The shape is unique and cool. I did the same PUP upgrade and more. Eliminated neck dive by replacing the HEAVY stock tuners with black Hipshot Ultralights (which are more precise tuners and stay in tune longer). Replaced the stock bridge with a BadAss II bridge, so string placement is rock solid and the grounding area is larger; big difference in tone. Replaced stock strings with Status groundwounds, for the brightness of roundwounds but the feel of flats. It's my main bass. The tonal variations are great for EQing on the fly.
  17. Boone3882

Boone3882

Another alternative for the Aerodyne Bass is the Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special. Which is not as light weight as the aerodyne but it has active electronics, nice jazz neck, and P/J pick up configuration. I was never into the whole p/j pick up thing but it sounds amazing. Only down side is the ugly Golden pickguard which will be remedied when my tech at GC makes my custom 3-ply b/w/b pickguard.
  18. amimbari

amimbari

although T'CharleS picture, AND bass is is much better condition, here's another shot of another one with the covers.

and I also have another bass with white binding. Does it dig into my arm when sitting --ya, a little but I'm used to it, and don't sit much even when recording.
    [​IMG]
  19. Inverness

Inverness

You know, that might explain why I'm getting a grounding (or lack thereof) buzz. When I roll the tone all the way forward (open? whatever) and I lift my hands from any metal part, it buzzes. If I turn the tone knob in the complete opposite direction, the buzzing goes away. It is completely independent of which pickup is on. I have it in with a tech right now. We'll see.
  20. P-BASSLOVER

P-BASSLOVER

If you're going to shell out $650.00 for that, you can get a Fender P-Bass Special with active electronics and noiseless
    pickups! The Special has the same configurations Jazz neck,
    P body, One P Pickup, One Noiseless J Pickup, active electronics with Bass, Mid, Treble, Balance, and Volume knobs.
    The Aerodyne can't touch the Special! That guy at Guitar Center is just trying to get rid of a peice of junk they can't sell! You can even pick a Maple or rosewood board with the Special and it comes in a lot of colors. The Blizzard Pearl with a Maple board looks awesome! Below are the specs for the P-Special......

Model Name Active P Bass® Special
    Model Number 013-5760-(Color #) and 013-5762-(Color #)
    Series Deluxe Series
    Colors (306) Black,
    (325) Chrome Red,
    (355) Blizzard Pearl,
    (359) Navy Blue Metallic, (Rosewood Fingerboard Only),
    (Polyester Finish)
    Body Alder, (Precision Bass® Body)
    Neck Maple Jazz Bass Neck, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Satin Urethane Finish)
    Fingerboard Rosewood p/n 013-5760 or Maple p/n 013-5762, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Pickups 1 Standard Alnico Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup (Mid),
    1 Dual-Coil Ceramic Noiseless™ Jazz Bass Pickup with Nickel Plated Pole Pieces (Bridge)
    Controls Master Volume, Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ with:
    Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 10 db @ 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave.
    Mid Boost/Cut: +10dB, -15dB @ 500Hz, and a wide band slope.
    Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 40 Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave.
    Pickup Switching Pan Pot
    Bridge American Vintage Precision®/Jazz® Bass
    Machine Heads Standard
    Hardware Chrome
    Pickguard 1-Ply Beveled Gold Vinyl
    Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
    Width at Nut 1.50” (38 mm)
    Unique Features Side Mounted Jack
    Strings Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS,
    Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100),
    p/n 073-7250-005
    Accessories Deluxe Gig Bag
    Case Deluxe Gig Bag
    Introduced 1/2005
    Notice Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change