Fender Aerodyne Jazz bought in Naples, FL about 6-8 years ago?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heb9_28, Jan 21, 2013.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

This is a totally random post and a complete long shot.

Somewhere between 6-8 years ago, I was living in Auburn, Alabama. Before moving there I had been living in Naples, FL with my father. Before I left to go to Alabama, I had dropped off my Aerodyne Jazz bass for a repair at a local independent music shop. I knew it would be a few months until I came back to get it since I was going out of state and I let them know.

While in Alabama, the shop called me three times to ask/make sure I was coming back for the bass (they kept telling me since Christmas was coming up they could easily sell it if I wanted them to). Each time I was very clear that I would be home around Christmas time and assured them that I would definitely be coming to pick it up.

Well, you can see where this is going. I get back to the shop, give them my claim ticket. The guy looks surprised and goes, "We don't even use this style claim ticket anymore." Anyways, he goes in the back and comes back out with an empty gig bag. They had sold the bass. The guy even told me that while in the back he called the person he sold it to and told me that it had been bought for a Christmas present for someone's son and that they really love it.

He went on to tell me how they had attempted to reach out to me multiple times regarding the bass but could never get in touch with me and I never got in contact with them. Completely false, I spoke to them three different times and certainly did not have and un-returned messages from them. I even looked at the guy and go, "I know I spoke to Greg (I think that was his name, maybe Gary or something)," and he says, "Well, I'm Greg." I went on to ask how I could have known his name if we never spoke (no he wasn't wearing a name tag) and he just kind of fumbled around for some words.

Anyways, he just kept saying that they tried to get in touch with me and they thought I wasn't coming back for it (complete lie). He then told me that he could offer me $100 off of a new bass if I wanted to buy one right then. Ridiculous. So, with my head absolutely spinning, I walked out the door and back to Alabama.

Let me be clear that I realize how absurd this situation is and that I had the ability to bring legal charges. At the time I was young and just not thinking clearly. For some reason I kind of just "let it go". The point of this thread is not for everyone to chime in with how they would have demanded a new bass or at least the $$ it was worth in return. I'm sure that's what everyone would have done because I'm aware that is exactly what I should have done and would do now.

The point of the thread is to find the bass. Not because I'm trying to get it back, I understand that whoever bought it purchased it fair and square with no knowledge of the situation and is completely innocent of wrongdoing. I honestly am just wondering where it is, what it's doing, how it's been enjoyed. Crazier things have happened on Talkbass.

I know, total long shot. Just throwing it out there.

Here are a few pics of me playing it in Orlando.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

I mean
    Yeah: Naples in Italy

a huge musical market, yet sort of a sukh, a kasbah, down to respect of genuinely "used", "ex demo" and, of course, "new" items

Happy this time the talkin' wasn't around something happened over here
    Sad for the story you told
    It really sounded like a "runaway train" ad (can you remember Soul Asylum?)

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. heb9_28

heb9_28

Haha, yeah I've never been to Italy. I will make sure to avoid the Naples, Italy instrument market if I ever find myself there!!
  4. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

what store? morningstar? I don't remember anyone with that name from the other stores.

I don't know anything about the bass but knowing what store it was would help in case I run across one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I hope you find your bass, although it will be pretty hard to find yours seeing as they all look the exact same.

I don't know about Florida but you probably would not have recourse to bring any kind of legal charges up here in Canada, after 30 days they get to keep it especially if you have yet to pay for the services rendered. Even if you did get something in a settlement you would have to pay some storage fees to compensate them for having to store your bass.
  7. heb9_28

heb9_28

I hear ya and it might be the case here as well. However, if they had told me that they would not hold it longer than 30 days, I would have had my father go and pick it up for me as he lived near-by. Obviously I should have just done that, but at the time I had no idea that was even a possibility.
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Do you have a record or picture of the serial number?
  9. heb9_28

heb9_28

I don't have a serial number. The only pictures are the ones I have posted plus maybe a few more of me playing it. It was one of the earlier models with the top mounted input jack, not the strat-style that they have now. I realize it's a long shot but I also know that the chances of there being more than one used Aerodyne Jazz sold in Naples, Florida during this time period are just as crazy.

Again, I'm not trying to find it to reclaim it or anything. Like I said, the owner bought it fair and square. I'm just curious where it is and what it's doing. I had a significant connection with that bass as it was the bass I used to record my band's first album etc...
  10. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

tell us the name of the store!
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

I prefer older trad. jack input over the Strato like present ones

Good model it was

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. kjpollo

kjpollo

I'm glad you arent going to try to get anything out of the shop at this point. Chances are, any statute of limitations on suing them has run its course and the courts wont/cant help you.
    But that was a horrifically bad thing they did to you and I for one would NEVER set foot in that store if I happened to find myself in Florida.

I'm just curious- had you ever dealt with them before leaving that bass there?

I also wonder if they already had the buyer lined up when they were asking you if you wanted to sell it. Sure comes across as shady to me.
    Sorry you lost that bass.
  13. heb9_28

heb9_28

The shop was called "Morningstar Music" and I had dealt with them before ONLY in that I had originally bought the Aerodyne from them!!

One positive thing with all this reminiscing is that I now know what my next bass purchase will be. When I can finally afford a more expensive bass again, I'll be looking for another Aerodyne.
  14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Is the shop still around?
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

That is indeed a sad and frustrating story.

It does prove the point that EVERYTHING has to be in WRITING whenever possible. The receipt should have had the serial # and the notation that the owner would not be back for some period of time, and records of the phone calls. The bass should also have had all this information on a label or tag affixed to the bass. I make sure mine have all my info on the bass as well as the case when they go for repair or tune-up.

It still sucks, however.
  16. heb9_28

heb9_28

As far as I know, they are still in business. From a Google search they apparently don;t have a website though.

When all this was going down, I was young and had none of the knowledge of Talkbass. I never thought of SNs or anything. It very possibly was on the ticket.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Ya know - As I think more about this, I am quite sure that the bass was stolen from the store by one of the employees. Probably the last guy you talked to. That is why the bag was there, empty - so others would think it was still there while it was long gone.

There may have been someone that was leaving during that period, and made off with it and it might have been weeks or months or until you came back before they found out it was missing. Then, they made up the stories to cover their a**es.

If you had reported it stolen at that time, with proper paperwork, likely you could have been paid by their insurance company.

FYI - MOST theft in retail stores (called shrinkage) is by employees.
  18. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I hate when things like this happen. There's a shop in my neck of the woods that sells instruments on consignment; I've sold 2 things through them, both times they made no effort to contact me and when I came in to ask about them (both times over a month after it had sold) they said: "ooohhh yeah that sold a long time ago".
    I then found out they had done the same thing to a few kids from my highschool with their band instruments.
    Apparently they sell consignment items and say they'll call you when it sells... only they never do and hope you forget about it
  19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

How long was it between the time you dropped it off and the time or tried to collect it?
  20. heb9_28

heb9_28

I think it was about 2 months. I understand that there may be a "if you don't get it in 30 days, we own it" law, but I was definitely never told that. Like I said, if at some point they had told me if I didn't come get it in a few days they were going to sell it, I would have had my father go pick it up. But because I had no idea, I didn't see why that would have been necessary.

Again, this isn't meant to be a "you should have done...." kind of thread, I was just wondering if someone might see this thread who lives/has lived in the area or whatever and might have seen it.
  21. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

This reminds me... I once bought an Alvarez 6 string dreadnought from the now defunct Cambridge Music...
    This axe sang harmonics for breakfast. I was buying it on weekly layaway and when I went to make my last payment and retrieve my axe, the dude went all dramatic and said "oooooh that guitar FELL off the shelf and SMASHED into pieces- here's your refund!"
    I asked to see the "pieces" and they told me they were unavailable at the present time.
    I stared at him for about a minute and said..."wow- you SOLD my guitar to one of your buddies huh?!"
    He said nothing lol!