Fender Aerodyne PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

Hey guys, might have a lead on an Aerodyne PJ CIJ in off white with chrome knobs (non export model). Was hoping some of you had played them before.

I keep hearing these great sounding P-bass' in videos and songs with real strong mids and tight tight bottoms, but every one I try in stores sounds woody and dead. This of course could be and of course probably is a result of really cheap busted amps in the pawn shops around here but I digress.

Do PJ's have different pickup placement affecting the tone (Like the pickup placement change from pre cbs to post cbs Jazz bass').

Is a used one with a finish chip that doesn't appear to have cut into the wood underneath reasonable with HSC, strap, and strap locks at 525? Also seems to have a little bit of player wear.

I'd be pretty much be using it as a P bass that happens to have a J pickup in it in case I want/need that tone. I know I'm under educated here, but hoping that is just temporary.

2. chienmort

chienmort

I think it must be the amps. The way I use my Aerodyne is usually full on the P PUP and dial in the J as needed. I can get most tones that way.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The P pickup is in the same spot as other Fenders. $525 is about right for a non export CIJ Aerodyne with case. I've seen a bunch at $499 with no case, which is a little high IMO.

4. Kikegg

Kikegg

I've played a non-export Aerodyne P-bass some time ago. It played and sounded nice at home (POD HD300) and at rehearshal (at that time my amp was an Ashdown MK500). BTW, it costed me 600 Euros (rara avis here in Spain) so that's a nice price IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Some chips here and there are common…something to do with the type of paint the Aerodynes get, I believe.

Sonically speaking, if it sounds anything like my export model 'Dyne, it should sound quite nice, especially when paired with the right kind of strings. That "right kind of strings" is, of course, completely dependent on the sound you're trying to achieve. And like chienmort, I usually go 100% on the P-pickup and add in 50% or more on the J-pup…deep and full with enough "grittiness" to round out the sound.

Overall, if it is in good working order, $525 is a steal, especially considering the cost of a new non-export model AND the shipping costs to bring it across the Pacific.

Oh, and by the way, LET ME KNOW IF YOU DON'T BUY IT!!! :D

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

The P pickup has standard placement and with the J dialed all the way down, it does a very convincing P.

I have two non-export Aeros and am experimenting a little with the controls. One has the standard V-V-T setup, while the other has a pair of stacked V-T / V-T pots.

Some people find the Aerodyne pickups a little weak, but I think the non-export models are different than the all-black export models. I find them to be OK, but I have 2 sets of PJ pickups (DiMarzio and EMG) that I will be swapping in to test things out.

You sure you're not talking about the (US) export model - the one that is all black with no PG? The non-exports come in other colors with pickguards, chrome control plates and special top-hat knobs. $400-$600 is typical for those - depending on condition - while $525 is a steal for a fare more rare non-export model.

8. MrBKerth

I'm certain that it's the pickguard non export version. It's gorgeous, but I've been impulsive and bought before my brain kicked in so I thought I'd check with the TB community. It's off white with case strap and locks so I think I'll offer 500 (25 bucks isn't much difference and it'll cover my gas and see how he takes it). Here's hoping!

9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

You seemed pretty clear MrBKerth - I was asking that question to lowfreq33. Sounds like they're common around him, which is hard to believe would be the non-export models.

Either way, someone asking $525 is more or less putting it out there hoping to get $500. If you grab it and the bass doesn't end up being "for you" then you won't have trouble finding a taker for it here on TB later on. Myself included.

The other thing about basses sounding "dead" in pawn shops is that they probably have old strings on them. I've seen that many times as they have no desire to put more $$ into an instrument to help it move. A fresh set of strings will do wonders for any used bass.

10. MrBKerth

Well it's listed in the 600 range, but he said that he'd knock it to 525 and all that since it's a small drive and could use some new strings (he offered so hey :bassist:). I'll take it, but if it turns out to not be for me then I guess I'll be having to support the site and list it here hoping to make back my casholene

Will update once I play it next wednesday!