Fender Aerodyne PUP upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkymonkeyman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. funkymonkeyman

funkymonkeyman

I am looking at pulling the trigger on a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass. I've been reading the pup's are kinda so-so. First...true??
    If you were going to replace them, and had your pic of pup's, what might one suggest. I am looking for classic/vintage sounds from both pup's. P's that growl, but also versatile for a 60's/70's funk vibe & a Jaco-esqu J pup. Money not being an issue. (well, it is...but if I'm gonna shop, no harm in window shopping :cool:)
    Prolly upgrade the bridge also...the Bad Ass II seems to pop up alot...

also...this being a lighter bass...how much does the type of bass affect the tone. Is there a split the difference type scanerio with tone...if that makes sense? ex: pups responsible for 70% tone, and body 30% tone...

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

The Precision-style pickup is actually pretty good, the single coil Jazz bridge pickup a lot of people swap out for something that doesn't hum and because they're swapping out the Jazz pickup they swap out the Precision one as well.

I was running the SPB-3 and STK-J2b in mine for the longest time and they sounded amazing for the style, though I was playing a more 'aggressive' tone. I have heard good things about the DiMarzio Model PJ set as well.

At the moment however, my favorite pickups are the ones I have in now - the EMG PJX set. The Precision pickup sounds hollow and chunky and the Jazz pickup sounds thin and gnarly. Blend the two to your tastes for awesome results.

3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

I just purchased a new Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass on the 14th of this month. No stage use yet only a few hours at home in an apt where I really can't turn it up much. The fit and finish is immaculate. Really nice. I love the Precision Pup. The Jazz pup leaves a bit to be desired. Kinda week and a bit noisy. I don't know about the precentages of what = how much of the tone. The tone from the Precision pup is awesome. I'll prob replace the Jazz pup. It is a lighter bass. The 8 1/2 lb Aerodyne is going to be a big relief from my 12 lb 78 Jazz. My back is going to love me. It is a fantastic looking bass. I purchased mine from Zzounds for $799 paying just $100 a month for 8 months. Here's the good part. It seems that, just today, all the internet stores including Amazon lowered the price to $699. I called Zzounds and asked about their 30 day price guarantee. They happily changed my price to $699. So, if you have already purchased your Aerodyne within the past 30 days you might want to take advantage of the 30 day price guarantee that most places offer. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase and the bass. Keep it country.

4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

Aguilar is releasing a new P/J pickup set on Dec 1, 2012. Street price will be $185. Model/Part Number is AG 4P/J-HC. Might be worth the money. They say it'll be " matched " as far as volume and compatibility. The HC = Hum Cancelling.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Bang for the buck you can not beat the DiMarzio Area P & Area J Pickup Set.
    I have a set of Area J's in my non export Aero and a set in my FSR Jazz.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/dimarzio-dp251-area-p-j-pickup-set.htm

I like the sound of the basswood body.
    My 2012 MIA FSR hand stained ash with the same nut, strings, pick ups, pots, cap does not sound as good as my Aero.
    It looks beautiful but just does not sound as good to me.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd wait and see if there is an actual problem with the pickups before I went replacing them.