1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Aerodyne ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblestiltskin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Rumblestiltskin

Rumblestiltskin

Anyone here have one? Do you like it? Any pro's or cons?

2. Guinness20

Guinness20

Love the non-export basses, some beautiful instruments! Not that mad on he exported pj though.

3. Rumblestiltskin

Rumblestiltskin

What's the difference between exported/non exported?

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I liked the feel and the sound of one I played like 5 years ago, but the glossy finish got smudgy kinda quick. It was black though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

My Aerodyne, an export model (more on that below), was my first bass and as long as no massive financial woes come my way, it's a keeper-for-life. Even before I knew much about different basses I could tell this one was an excellent piece of work, despite the chips and dings in the finish. It's still sexy as All Hell.

Perhaps I lucked out and found a bass that fulfills many of my long-term preferences or it wound up shaping said preferences. Who knows? But either way, I greatly lean towards a number of features it includes; P/J configuration, slim Jazz neck width, tight fretboard radius and on the esthetics-front, a painted headstock.

I can't say what's commonly exported from Japan to other countries, but the only Aerodyne that's readily available in The States is the Fender Deluxe Aerodyne Jazz. It's most unique feature is the Stratocaster-style output jack. The non-export Deluxe Aerodynes have a standard jack that's flush to the body and is also available in Candy Apple Red.

There are a whole bunch of other non-export Aerodynes;
    …and a variety of limited edition 'Dynes.
    http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/ajb_le.html
    http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/ajb_g_koa.html

True, it is a bit of a fingerprint-magnet, but a little care and a nice polishing cloth will really make them shine.