1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Fender Aerodynes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ilmārs Priede, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Please share your thoughts on Fender Aerodyne (USA) vs Aerodyne (Japan non-export) with a front monted jack.

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I did not even know there was a US model? I have seen MIJ & MIM. The MIJ ones I have seen have been immaculate, and more consistent than MIA stuff, including post 2012 ones. Personally I am not a fan of the Aerodyne concept, though.

3. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Im sorry what I meant to say is to compare the Aerodyne that is exclusivelly available only in USA to one thats Japan only.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

There are no US made models, they are MIJ models that are made for export to the US .. these are the ones with no p/g and no (on) fretboard markers, jack, etc ... the ones with the FB dots were not intended for export, they just show up here anyway ;) ... I looked at both, best I could figure is difference in the aesthetics ... they are light, but the 7.25" fretboard radius didn't work for me, or I would have had one ... usually you will see them selling for the same price used, as most folks dont even realize there is a difference ... JMHO

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have a non export one.

I like it much better than the ones you get in the US.
    You can get a "real" Jazz with a pick guard and control plate.

The bad is that you have a pick guard and control plate on a radius body made out of basswood.
    The screw holes strip out very easily. A new pick guard will pull out the screws even if you heat up the guard first. Take control plate off once and you will not get it back on.
    I ended up putting metal inserts in all the holes.
    Oh, and don't think that a "normal" Jazz pick guard or control plate will fit because it will not.
    On some years the bridge is recessed into the body (mine) and can not be replaced with a aftermarket one.

Other than that they are about the same.

[​IMG]

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

7.25" ??
    Mine is 12"

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

All I know is that they are freaking good looking basses to me. I have seen pics of a rare 5 string version. If I ever come across one I will snag it up without hesitation. I think the one I saw was grey with a black guard. Really good looking bass.

Hope that wasn't a derail as I can not speak intelligently about the differences between export and non-export versions.

9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Please allow me to clarify. This applies to both "Made In Japan" and "Crafted In Japan" models.

• Aerodyne Deluxe Export Model (This has the Strat-jack, P/J configuration and no pickguard. It's the model most commonly here in the States.)
    The rest of these are considered non-export models;

Some people draw a distinction between MIJ and CIJ basses. The main difference is which factory produced them as the license to make them passed from one factory to another. I only have one Aerodyne, so if there are any serious structural differences, it's unknown to me.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Greg, I guess I dont remember the FB on your med scale when I tried it .. the one I played after that at Schmidt Music in Duluth was the basic 34" scale made for export model, and that had the 7.25"... so you didnt sell yours?

11. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

I have a non-export model with the pg and control plate. The bridge is recessed, which kinda sucks because I'd like to upgrade, but everything else suits me greatly. I'm really at home on MIJ necks and the light weight is a plus.

If I was to go for a US market model, I would find an older one with the regular jack in line with the controls. I dislike the location of the Strat style jack and feel it cheapens the otherwise very classy look of the body. It's like a tuxedo with a bowtie attached 2 buttons down instead of around the collar.

I think Fender is really missing out by not having a Precision body of the US non-pickguard version.

12. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Does the recessed bridge mean that there is a limited choice when your are replacing the original one?

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I rather like the Strat-jack. For me, it's a nice visual twist that you don't see on very many basses. I prefer it over what, to me, looks like a little hole floating in a sea of negative space (damn art school training kicking in again!). Just another example of "different strokes for different folks", and all that. ;)

The subject of bridge upgrades came up on the Aerodyne Club a little ways back. If you haven't checked it out already, see if there's some tips that will help.

14. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i owned an aerodyne precision. the hardware and pick ups were junk but the neck was just a work of art and the body had such a nice blue finish with matching head stock. MIJ. i put a set of hipshot tuners on it, a badass bridge that i had to have the body routed to install and basslines active P/J pick ups then gave it to a fellow bass player that was having a benifit gig because he lost his left arm in an accident. they auctioned it off and the kid who won it actually cried when he picked it up saying that he never thought he'd own a bass this nice. i threw in a great coffin case with it too. and get this, my friend who lost his arm was back on stage playing a lefty with one arm in two months! he was a right handed player. when you think you have it bad folks, think again. he has inspired me so much in so many ways and every time i see him play on stage i am blown away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]