1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Alder body as natural look

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass.strings, Feb 19, 2014.

1. bass.strings

bass.strings

Thinking about stripping my red Fender Jazz to give it the natural look cause I like natural. Just unsure how the alder body would look. Anyone have any ideas? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392871583.495496.jpg

2. sjeverett

sjeverett

I stripped my alder body strat this summer. Came out really well. My son immediately asked if I would trade guitars with him.

3. bass.strings

bass.strings

Cool, do you have a pic of it?

4. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Dunno. Alder isn't the prettiest wood out there. Your's could be appealing..but I wouldn't risk it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
  7. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

If you're not happy with the current finish, you could just strip it, and if you're not happy with how it looks au natural, repaint it a colour you like better.

8. bass.strings

bass.strings

Thanks guys! Do you think it would change the tone any?

9. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Certainly not for the worse. It may open it up a bit more, but that really depends on how thick the current finish is. I personally like thin finishes.

10. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

There could be a reason why your Fender is painted a solid color, the wood could be really mismatched and made from very different grain patterns underneath there. For the amount of elbow grease and the possibility of a nasty surprise, I would just get a replacement body from Mighty Mite or if you can afford it Warmoth.

as such

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=B2691&Body=2&Bass=1&Path=Body

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

This was my initial thought too. It's pretty much a roll of the dice. Could be beautiful, could be hideously mismatched.

12. sjeverett

sjeverett

I dont have a pic and my son leaves the guitar in the band hall. He takes a guitar class and its easier to leave his axe and amp at school and use one of our other guitars to practice at home.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This is fairly likely. Stripping a solid color is a crapshoot, and you may have ugly wood underneath.

Of course, you can always re-paint it another solid color.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Given the rarity of decent looking wood of all types these days, I'd bet Fender culls any good looking bodies for trans/burst finishes.

15. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

If it is a "select alder" body, they prolly match. Mine is a 3TB USA P Deluxe and the grains match.

Attached Files:

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

I like mine! Got lotsa mojo, but that's the beauty of it!

Attached Files:

17. bass.strings

bass.strings

Thanks guys! It's a roll of the dice.

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Alder can be a bit bland looking, but its by no stretch an ugly wood. I have seen some curly alder that was absolutely stunning. That being said, with a solid color, when stripping chances are you will find a 3 (or more) piece body, probably with a veneer on the top that has a real chance of looking horrible. As said earlier, your best bet would be to buy a natural finished MightyMite body that you know will look good, and save yourself the work and possible heartache of stripping your current body.