Fender Am. Std Jazz Volume Knob 2 stiff at extremes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Overkill Red, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Overkill Red

Overkill Red

Hey guys, so I was finishing up practice today and noticed that the bridge volume control on my 2012 Jazz was a little stiff at the ends.

What I mean by this is: I'd turn my bridge volume up to the ends. Once I hit the 'bump' for 100% (I think), I find that I can still turn the knob a few more degrees, albeit with some resistance. The same thing happens when I turn the knob down to 0%, I hit some resistance, and when I overcome it I can turn a few more degrees.

Is this normal? The neck pickup knob doesn't do this, and I haven't checked whether the 'stiff' areas actually affect the volume (Will do so tomorrow morning).

I don't think it's some of the plastic wrap that came with the bass, but I was thinking of opening it up and checking. How would I go about removing the knob?

Thanks guys!
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The knob is turning on the pot shaft and/or the pot in turning in the control plate. One or both of them need to be tightened.

Loosen the set screw on the knob to remove it.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

loosen the knob and lift it just enough to where it isn't dragging on the nut underneath.

re-tighten both the knob and the pot under it, and you should find it slamming to a clean hard stop at both ends of its travel.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

+1.... + please stay away from your truss rod sir. Until you at least gain a modicum of mechanical senses. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Overkill Red

Overkill Red

Ah, I see. I'll try fixing it later and post my results.

Yep, not touching that anytime soon!
  7. snarebear

snarebear

And do not overtighten as it may crack the finish.
  8. P Town

P Town Guest

Be careful if you try to tighten the nut, that you don't scratch the finish with the tool. A pliers is more likely to cause damage than a nut driver, or deep socket.