Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maya403, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Maya403

Maya403

Is it worth buying this bass? I love fender jazz basses and I am planing on grabbing one of these 5 string ones. Should I take into consideration any other five string bass guitars similar to this one?
  2. VeganThump

VeganThump

I own one and I love it to pieces, so yes, to me it's worth every penny, but I'm not you. When you ask if you should take any other basses into consideration, you need to first ask yourself what it is you're looking for in a bass. Just because a bass has 5 strings doesn't make it similar to another 5 string bass. You need to consider things like scale length, do you prefer 34" or 35"? Or maybe that doesn't matter to you at all, so you can check that off your list of requirements. Then there's string spacing to consider, fender 5ers are 18mm, a Warwick corvette is 16.5, and a Stingray is 17.5. It may not seem like a huge difference but I can definitely tell the difference and I know that I can't play anything less than 17.5. There are of course many other things to consider but you catch my drift. If you tell us a little but more about what it is you're looking for in a bass, we will certainly be able to help you more with a few different suggestions.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Vegan and the choices are getting out of control there are so many great basses the whole industry has conspired to drive us all into GAS fueled insanity. I plan on getting the bass you're looking at and all of the reviews are correct it is one of the best basses Fender has put out in my opinion.
  4. chris_b

chris_b

If you're after a 5 string Fender bass, I'd also look at Mike Lull's basses.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    As has been stated before, there's plenty of choices in the "5 string Jazz-type" bass category. I just sold my American Deluxe Jazz V. It was an ok bass. I thought it was gorgeous, but the sound was just decent, not outstanding. These are just my thoughts on the Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V that I owned, YMMV....

I think part of my issue with it was the pickups/preamp. Noiseless pickups? Not hardly. I actually thought about buying a noise suppressor. I understand that single coil pups will be somewhat noisy, but these are supposed to be quiet. The active/passive switch, which is a great idea and part of the reason I bought the bass, was really unnecessary because the passive output was so low, it was almost unusable, especially live. In the studio, it wasn't a big deal, but I do a lot more gigging than recording. Yeah, I could've put different pups or a better preamp in it, but the thought of doing that irritated me, especially with a bass that wasn't that far south of $2k. Still, it was a good looking bass and it did sound like a Jazz bass, which was good.

Again, those are my thoughts on the bass I owned. Yours could be completely different. If I were to buy another Fender, which I probably won't, I'd probably buy a Marcus Miller.
  7. garp

garp

At a minimum, you should also consider the Fender Standard Jazz V and the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V (both MIM). If you can, also check out a Marcus Miller Jazz V and a Modern Player Jazz V. If — in your opinion — the American Deluxe still rises above these other instruments, then you can at least feel comfortable that you’ve done some due diligence within the Fender line.
  8. Benbart

Benbart

I own the Fender American deluxe jazz 5 string and it is definitely superior to mim or mij.
    If you can try a Paul Reed Smith Gary Granger 10 Top 5 string , a few more dollars but a totally amazing instrument.. Good luck..
  9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

My American Deluxe Jazz V is stellar. It will be with me forever. It is a mass produced instrument and Fender has quirks. None of that bothers me anymore, not after owning this bass.
  10. Maya403

Maya403

Thanks everyone I just wanted to anounce that I finally bought my Fender American deluxe jazz bass v. It's the best bass I've had
  11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

A used Fender Jazz Deluxe with a preamp retrofit is a great instrument. I have a 4 with the Sadowsky preamp in it. It kills. I keep an eye on the 5's. If the right one turned up, I would think about it.
  12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Enjoy!
  13. Bassy105

Bassy105 Supporting Member

Did you have any issues retrofitting the Sadowsky preamp in the Jazz cavity???