1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass sound differences between generations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noobiebro, Dec 15, 2013.

1. noobiebro

noobiebro

I searched for videos / sound clips for Fender American Deluxe Jazz Basses of different generations, but couldn't find anything that would compare these.

How does the sound of the 1st (Suhr single pole pickups), 2nd (change to 18v preamp and dual-pole pickups) and 3rd generations (active-passive switch + assorted changes) differ?

2. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

go to YOUTUBE you should get the idea there.

John P Kees song VIP Mass Choir song "When Will We Sing" pretty well says it all for the superior sound of the 97's just killin' it.

IMHO the Suhr (96-98) and the (99-2001) are VASTLY superior in tone and feel being only 9 volt circuits. Also looks wise all the keys on the 5 look hipper than 4+1 headstock and 18 volt models after2002. However I did own a 2004 ash body/maple board 5 that was "sick"---it blew away my Fender Custom Classic Jazz 5 special ordered.....

I collect these and have 3 bad boys now in my collection. That is the 1999 Jazz Deluxe 5's
    PLUS they sound better than a very expensive Fender style boutique 5 that I own.

IMHO easily the best all around 5 string for the money (highly undervalued ?) and vastly superior to the current Am Deluxe series.

I am a serious player collector of these basses ( see also Derrick Hodge with Robert Glasper ) and was fortunate to have all of the records for the American Deluxe series sent to me when requested from Fender.

best

3. P Town

P Town Guest

I own a 2011 Am Dlx P, (and a 2012 Am Dlx J), and I really like the range of tones these basses are capable of. The last bass I owned before these (a 1961 P) is long gone, (lost in a fire), but the new Am Dlx P plays better, and sounds better than the '61.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have a 2011 MIA Jazz Deluxe. I liked the tone but noticed a huge drop in output when switching from active to passive mode. It was much less than my 82 MIA Precision. This caused problems when switching basses at gigs. I replaced the electronics with a passive setup consisting of Lindy Fralin pickups, new pots and capacitors. The bass sounds better than ever.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. noobiebro

noobiebro

I couldn't find any source that would compare these. I found clips of the old ones and new ones, but because of different recording techniques and equipment, there was more differences between similar basses than different generations, so I can't quite make a difference between these.

If you've got Deluxes different generations, how about making a quick demo of the tonal differences? I'm sure many would appreciate it, not only me.