Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveking, Mar 27, 2014.

1. grooveking

grooveking

I have the Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bazz V, and I noticed that even in active mode, there is not a lot of volume of that bass. I have other basses with active pickups/preamp that blow my jazz away regarding volume. I love the bass, but I have to either turn my amp up or use my aguilar tonehammer preamp just for a decent volume. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

2. generation zero

generation zero Supporting Member

I just got one, I will be trying it out through my rig for the first time tomorrow... I will be putting it up against my PRS Grainger 5. I will make note of any volume drop and report here afterwards.

Is it possible you just need to raise the pickups a bit? That helped tremendously on the passive jazz basses I've owned... Just a thought. I'll let you know how mine compares to the PRS tomorrow. :)

3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I own a 2012 American Deluxe Jazz V and it has plenty of volume! Even compared to my other nice active basses, a Mike Lull PJ5 and a Lakland 55-94. You may have a problem with your particular bass.

4. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    The rule of an active bass has to be louder than a passive is just crap. There are active basses that have lower volume than passive. Active basses is not about volume, is about having on board eq control and acts as a buffer for long cables.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Guinness20

Guinness20

The american deluxe jazz is a funny one. One of the prettiest basses I've seen and fees fantastic, but it just didn't do it for me. Not keen on the passive tone, and the active is a bit anticlimactic - thinking about it now the volume (or lack of) was a bit of a turn off. That's why I ended up getting a stingray instead.

7. chris_b

chris_b

GK, do you like the tone?

If yes then it isn't a problem. Just keep doing what you're doing, turning the amp up.

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I have a 2003 (Which is a 2004 model year) ADJV. The volume is not as LOUD as my Passive American Standard Precision 5, but has a LOT more tonal flexibility. I do have the pickups low enough so I don't POP my B string off the pickup (We tune to "D"), and I am using DR DDT .135 - .050 strings. (On both). I suggest you get an ASPV to Compliment your Jazz...

9. bucephylus

bucephylus

If you really like the bass otherwise, there are several high quality preamps that will go directly in. The Fender preamp is somewhere between acceptable and maybe just get by; it certainly is nothing they put a ton of time into. I have a Sadowsky preamp in my J Deluxe 4 and could not be happier with the bass.

10. generation zero

generation zero Supporting Member

I found that the Fender was right on par as far as volume (and tone, mostly, though not quite as bell-clear) with the PRS. Both sounded great through the Mesa setup. I noticed a slight volume drop when I put it into passive mode, active was noticeably louder even with the preamp controls all set at the "flat" setting, the mid-sweep detent point. Boosting bass and high a bit increased the volume further, as you would expect. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Fender... I expected it to be inferior to the PRS in all aspects, just an adequate backup. Instead, I found it to be on roughly the same level as far as tone goes, and only slightly less comfortable to play due to the wider string spacing. There are tonal differences of course, but I am certain that as I work through our set list I will find an equal number of songs for which I prefer each of them. The PRS is clearer and a bit more balanced, while the Fender is a little more aggressive and raw sounding, probably better suited for our heavier tunes.

But I digress... To answer your question, no, I didn't notice any lower output than I would expect from any other active bass. It may be an issue with your specific bass, might be worth getting it looked at and/or doing a side by side comparison of yours to another one of the same model at a local store, if that is an option. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out...