1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender american deluxe p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by azdownlow, Dec 30, 2013.

1. azdownlow

azdownlow

Can anyone chime in if this is a good bass for a beginner? I recently purchased an SR505 thinking it looked cool and it felt great in the store. After getting it home and putting in some practice hours behind it if figured out that the body is just too slim and small for me. I went to the local GC last weekend and played a Fender American standard Jazz. I really liked it and felt comfortable overall. Then I played the American Deluxe Precision, I liked that just as much. Both feel good and comfortable but the Deluxe has both the jazz and precision pickups as well as an active/passive switch that the Standard Jazz does not. The P is more money but it is kind of like getting two different basses. I figured this should cover a wider range of sound and music, or is this not true?
    I tried playing other models in the store and these two just stood out in comfort and playability, both the things that will keep me wanting to pick the bass up and learn.
    The Ibanez was a 5 string which I can get if I go toward the Jazz but the Deluxe P bass is not available in a 5. Those who have played and owned both is the 5th string really needed? I kind of have the mind set that I would only like to buy this once, but already experiencing the uncomfortable playing I have experienced the Ibanez and shopping again, I realize that thinking is most unlikely.
  2. mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

There is also an American Deluxe Jazz which has passive/active modes as well, so if you're just looking for the active electronics, you do have more choice.

I agree that the addition of a N3 bridge pickup with split single-coil makes the Deluxe P-bass an interesting beast, and I'm looking at one closely for that reason.

-mike
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

I own a 2011 Am Dlx P, and a 2012 Am Dlx J. Mine are both natural ash body, with maple neck. They are excellent instruments. I highly recommend them, but I do like the P a little better. The necks have required very little adjustments, the range of tones you can get out of them is very broad. The workmanship is very good, and they look spectacular.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I own an MIA Deluxe Jazz. I wasn't happy with the sound so I removed the electronics and replaced them with a passive setup with Lindy Fralin pickups, new 250k pots and new capacitors. The bass sounds and plays great.

The answer to the OP's question is yes, an MIA P Deluxe is a great bass for a beginner. In fact, its a great bass for anybody.
  5. ou812

ou812

So can this sound like a 'real' pbass? I've heard the common complaint that a pj can't sound like a p or a j. Just wondering if Fender figured it out.