Fender American Jazz Deluxe - Pickup Problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RASHOSS, Mar 23, 2014.

1. RASHOSS

RASHOSS Supporting Member

Greetings.

Here's the problem I'm experiencing. Any ideas?

2010 Fender American Jazz Deluxe
    - When I turn the blend (pickup selection) knob, from center, towards the neck pickup, the sound cuts out. It's not scratchy/distorted...it's just cutting out. As I turn more towards the neck pickup, the problem increases (when I get to full neck pickup selection, there is NO sound coming from the guitar). As I turn back towards center, I get less problem, and when at center, I appear to have normal output. In other words, the problem appears to be only with the neck pickup.

- The problem persists in both Active and Passive mode

- The problem is present on multiple amps, with various guitar cables (not my amp or guitar cable).

- The problem is VERY intermittent (I've had three luthiers/techs look at it)
    - I was able to get the guitar to fail for the first luthier. He added some solder to the connection points (at the pickup), even though nothing looked necessarily wrong. We thought that fixed it, but it failed at my next rehearsal.
    - The second "tech" at Guitar Center could see nothing, and I could not get the guitar to fail, after playing it for about 15 minutes.
    - The third luthier could see no problem, and I could not get the guitar to fail, while playing for 10-15 minutes. I left it with him, and he cleaned the pots.
    - When I took it home, I could not get the guitar to fail.
    - A few days later, the guitar failed:
    * At rehearsal
    * At sound check
    * At the gig
    - When I returned home, the guitar failed again.

My temporary fix is to play, with the blend knob at center, however, this is definitely not the sound I'm looking for.

I think the problem must be caused by one of the following:
    - Pickup going bad
    - Pot going bad
    - Pre-amp going bad

I'm going to leave the guitar with the luthier again, but I'd be most appreciative if anybody here has any experience with this problem, or suggestions on what is the most likely cause of the problem.

Thank you very much for any help you might be able to offer.

Hoss

2. bajad

bajad

Sounds like a loose connection...hopefully it is in the pot control area. If it is in the pickup you will likely have to replace it. Take off the front pot plate carefully and see what might be going on. Plug in and take a small screwdriver plastic head and tap the pot and around the wiring for that pickup while the bass is on and see if something changes. Also try tapping on the pickup itself. Good luck!

3. RASHOSS

RASHOSS Supporting Member

Thanks for your reply bajad. I've opened the guitar up, with three luthiers, and nothing "appears" to be wrong. All the connection points look great. We've wiggled, jiggled, and tapped the pots and the pickup.

One additional piece that has arisen is that the blend pot started feeling "gritty", and it's not the knob scraping the nut below it. I'm hoping the pot is bad, because that's the least expensive fix. I purchased a new pot and am waiting for it to be delivered.