Fender American Necks and Bodies

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MarkWtbyCT, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MarkWtbyCT

MarkWtbyCT Supporting Member

I will try to piece together the bass I want. I like the American Special Precision Neck but want the American Deluxe or Standard body. Are they all interchangable?
  2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Yes. All Fender American Precision and Jazz bodies and necks are interchangeable. As far as I know, this also applies to Fender Mexican, Japanese and Squier basses. If someone knows of an exception, please chime in!
  3. owendavis

owendavis

4. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

American deluxe and standard are not compatible. Deluxe have 5 bolt pattern.
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Oh yeah...I forgot about that...also the 3-bolts.
  6. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

You might have some bolt-hole lineup issues. I had an 80s Japan '62 reissue Precision neck that didn't line up with a newer Squier P body, though it did line up with my 80s/90s possibly-60s-reissue Squier Jazz body.

I've tried a bunch of other necks, though, on both of those bodies without issue. I'm just saying that there are going to be some exceptions, that's all.
  7. owendavis

owendavis

So, if the bolts match up, are they swappable?

I do have a 95 mexican jazz body with a 98 mexican jazz deluxe neck, [or at that's what I think the neck is, it has the s/n on the back of the head stock, (some jackass sanded the decals off of the front of the head stock)] .. but anyway that fits.
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Not just the bolts. The Deluxe models have 22 frets and the Standards have 20.
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I've had Squier necks that were just too wide at the butt end to fit an American Fender body. But, between Fender branded, I've never had an issue. Of course, make sure it has the right number of frets and screw holes.
  10. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

Just to keep us on our toes the # of frets on deluxes changed sometime in the mid 2000s. Used to be 22 now 21. Made mating a 2013 deluxe neck to a 2003 deluxe body interesting for me.
  11. MarkWtbyCT

MarkWtbyCT Supporting Member

On the American Deluxe versus the American Special or American Standard it appears that looking at the back of the neck where the screws go that the upper rightmost screw is in the same location on all 3. Is this correct?
  12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Close, but no. I just compared a Highway1 with my 2011 Amer Deluxe. holding them back to back with those 2 screw heads touching, the 12th frets were off by 3/16~1/4"