1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender American Select flame-top nitro : first parts build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by aphexafx, Feb 15, 2014.

1. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(This is a parts assembly. I don’t think I’m a luthier; I just want to share and get some help and input on this one...)

Well I started out on a quest to build up a new Jazz bass with a aftermarket poplar body…I wasn't sure if I was even into that but I was looking for something to put together after having so much fun upgrading my P…but that got derailed when I found this perfect, drop-dead gorgeous, orphaned American Select flame-top nitro body. I kept going back to look at it because it’s just exactly how I love flame top grain in that it’s not overly contrasted, has nice even tiger stripes, and very subtle gradation. Soooooo I bought it and I’m so glad that I did because it’s just stunning in person. The iphone pics above do not capture it.

I have some goals. I want to source and install everything myself and that includes learning to file a nut, etc. Also, this body is such a nice piece of American Fender that I really want to keep it that way so I’m going to set it up with American series parts. My fiver is a big whole-grained tone monster but it’s very modern sounding with its N3s and its 18v preamp, so I want to build a more traditional four string passive with single coils. I’m interested in the Pure Vintage ’74s and the CS 60s so if anyone has any comments on those pickups please say something.

I’m typing too much; I’ll post my mockup! (-NOTE: not actual body-)

[​IMG]

Orange soda! :D So it’s kind of difficult to perceive the color of the finish without its environment, so when clipped on white it looks like a popsicle. You have to use your imagination a bit. The body is so unbelievably pretty that I think I would've paid more for it than I did, had I seen it in person. So it’s going to be a combination of upper class and working standard. I really like that! What do you guys think?

So I have tons of questions as I set off on my first parts build but I’ll leave it at this to start:

Is anyone laughing at the white pearl on the amber burst nitro? I have to try it and when I do I’ll post a real pic, but please share any ideas for this one. I’m also kicking around a custom split pearl and black pickguard design, just to set it off. A maple neck looks great but I very much prefer my Jazzes with rosewood fretboards.

[​IMG]
  2. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

I think the rosewood with the lone pearl guard looks really nice. Looks like a creamsicle, but in a good way.
    Put a loaded AVRI 60's neck on there (keep it all nitro) and some covers and a tug bar.
    That will look phenomenal.
  3. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

I think you should make it look just like the cute Nemo plush toy in the first pic; black/white black stripes, an eye and a semi-sad little mouth. That would be awesome.
  4. aphexafx

I think that the lone pearl is it too. An American Vintage neck might be sweet and the full nitro and tint is nice...need to research those necks a bit more. That's a great suggestion. I love how it looks with a modern standard non-tint neck too, though, and that is more in tune with my modern production theme...so I might start there and see how I feel in a few months. I admit to spending lots of time fooling myself. :D I agree that covers and a bar would look cool but I'm not going to drill mounting holes in this body and, more importantly, I like my basses lean and clean. :bassist:

That stupid thing. And there it is in my new bass pic. I didn't even notice it. I think it's just there because it's orange and it goes with that room or something. :) Now the striped mockups look like Nemo fish to me hahaha. Too funny. :p

I am shopping for a neck! And...learning about fitment. It occurred to me to worry that the special edition quartersawn American Select necks might possibly have a different heel profile. I got out my micrometer and as far as I can tell it's a standard neck pocket. That's a huge relief...I hadn't thought about that! If I can find a American Standard replacement neck with nice rosewood I'm going to snag it. If I find something better later I can always sell it or keep it for another project.

Pickguard ordered.
    Pickguard screws ordered.
    Bridge ordered.
    Control plate ordered.
    Strap locks ordered.

I'm installing the modern high mass vintage bridge. That's my preference. It also happens to be what was mounted to this body before it was stripped so I won't have to dress up a footprint mismatch.
  5. aphexafx

So far what I think I've learned is that current fender standard necks are drilled for two pin machines with no screws, and that the standard two pin machine is this one:

http://angela.com/fenderamericanseriescompactchromebasstunerssetof4.aspx (p/n 007-5116-000)

However, both my Deluxe Jazz and my standard P have "Fender Lightweight Vintage-Style Keys with Tapered Shafts" that I can't seem to find separately and I assume that they are also two pin style.

EDIT: Question moved to new thread in Hardware... -> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/l...yle-tuning-machines-part-number-info-1055724/

[​IMG]
  6. aphexafx

I decided that I want the less fancy-schmancy Hipshot "F" logo machines on my P bass, so that opens up a four-string set of these newer larger body "F" logo machines for this Jazz build. That's awesome because I'm sick of looking for these things lol. Even better, I already have the Hipshot type machines:

[​IMG]

I also inspected the body and cleaned up the channels a bit. I noticed that two of the pickup screws missed their targets so I fixed those. The visible finish is just flawless.

[​IMG]

The pickguard was in the mailbox too and it looks so awesome...pic coming. I have two neck options...one is a maybe...one of them will be here tomorrow or Thursday already so this is going pretty quickly so far. :hyper: Cheerios!
  7. aphexafx

I'm totally happy because the aged white pearl pg arrived and I finally was able to see what this was going to look like. It's perfect. :D I'm verah excited. :D

Here's a proof. Sorry about the soft focus, it looked sharp on my phone. I use a technical camera with a digital back everyday but I'm a terrible iPhone photographer. :rollno: Anyway, everything is put away but I'll get a better shot when I have a neck to show off.

[​IMG]
  8. aphexafx

No neck yet but I swapped out the tuning machines on my P. I like the more utilitarian Hipshot style machines on my P much better! :bassist:

[​IMG]

I have been reading just about every build going on right now and you guys are seriously impressive. I have some wood shop and machine shop experience and I really want to build a bass body and neck from scratch. I know that parts builds are boring in comparison but you have to start somewhere! Thanks for letting me share mine in your section.

I'm looking for a set of "My First Nut Files" today. Still waiting on stuff to show up.
  9. aphexafx

[​IMG]

:) :) :)

This neck. The long grain matches well between them and gets interrupted by the flame on the body and the frets.

I compared this clear finished neck with an aged nitro AVRI that I do not own. The nitro just doesn't work well, too many warm hues going on. This clear finished standard neck with the gorgeous grain wins. I love the clean, modern aesthetics and I definitely prefer the playability. I also prefer the hex adjustment. This bass is going to be special. I really really hope it's a good neck!

So does anyone else think its a good pairing? I'm talking to myself here lol. :p
  10. Lobomov

Lobomov

11. aphexafx

Yay I think so too. :)

Just trying to think ahead: is there an order of operations that I will need to follow when mounting and tensioning a new neck? Is there a way NOT to do this?
  12. aphexafx

Experimenting with iphone camera:

[​IMG]

Micro sensors can't collect shadow detail at all.
  13. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

looks nice!
  14. aphexafx

:bassist:

I've decided to install CS '60s while I do more research on the PV '74s. Actually, I didn't get much time with them before so I'm looking forward to playing them for a while. They look great.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just waiting on a pair of resistor/cap pairs for the treble bleeds. I have .0022uF orange drops on hand but they are too big and gaudy for treble bleeds, so I have some very nice Cornell Dubilier caps on the way...slowly :rolleyes: sometimes mom & pop shops are a bummer lol. Any cap would be fine but it's a nice bass so I want to do a nice install. Bridge and tone pots on hand, just waiting on a push pull for the neck.
  15. aphexafx

16. aphexafx

:ninja: SUPER AWESOME CAPS ARE IN :ninja:

I can build the harness. :bassist: I started this afternoon before I had to get back to work. The yellow axials are the Cornell Dubilier 69Ms; I just think they're cool. I know we've seen a million wiring jobs but I document everything so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little Fluffy Clouds played on the radio while I was putting these together, so I know it's going to be a great build. :p

My new years resolution is to not spend money unless I sell something and so far I'm sticking to it..this entire project is being funded by eBay sales. Soooooo finally I can order my files tomorrow...I'm going to get a set of gauged files from Stew Mac, learn to file, and eventually I'll build a bone nut for this bass.

Really nice weather in Colorado today. :) :) :)

Cheerios!
  17. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

:bassist: This in an awesome build! I love that neck and body pairing with the aged pickguard to finish it off. Your soldering is really neat too! I wish I had some better gear to work with but for a college kid I do what I can! Congrats on it! And enjoy the heck out of it! Its sweeeet!!!
  18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  19. aphexafx

Thanks for checking it out, man! :) Don't sweat not having every tool...it just means you get to be innovative. :D :D :D

Yup! I think they're awesome for a Jazz. Too ornate for Precisions...but that's probably just in my head. Anyway, those tuners are OEM on new American series basses.
  20. aphexafx

Gauged files and shielding tape on order and should be here on Monday. :bassist:

I've also finished the wiring harness and control plate. I forgot to mention the setup! This is a VVT with treble bleeds and series mode (push/pull on the neck volume). I like 250K pots all around and the volumes are linear taper. The tone cap is .047uF and the treble bleeds are .0022uF with 100K resistors. My insistence on solid 1/4" shaft pots meant I had to use both Alphas and CTS brand pots, which is annoying but it's OK. :D I just need to research a better source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This means that I can assemble this weekend!!! :hyper: