Fender American Special for $699?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deltax, Nov 9, 2012.

1. deltax

deltax

Was perusing GC's website and stumbled across their "Guitar-A-Thon" sale where they listed a Fender American Special P bass for $699, off from I think $1000. Seems like $699 for a MIM Fender isn't too bad. Anyways, I'm always a sucker for a deal :), however I'm also always suspicious when something is marked down considerably. I'm not too knowledgeable on this particular model, so I guess my question is does anyone own one of these and if so what is your opinion of it? Thanks in advance!:hyper:

Edit: Forgot to include the link lol
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-A-Thon-g26640t0.gc
  2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

There was a 4 page thread on one here the other day. There very nice basses and thats a great deal, 30% off is pretty nice.

In the past calling places like musiciansfriend, music123 etc would have got them to not only match that price but beat it as well.

If i was in the market for a new P , id be buying one.
  3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

The American Special is not MIM as far as I know.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Why would it be called a American Special if it wasn't made in America? :confused::meh:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's made in USA and a good deal. I'd rather buy from Musicians Friend though. MF has been very very good to me lately Great Deals on Fender Jazz & Rick 4003. 45 day return policy so no chance of regret.
  7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

just buy my old mw red highway one p at gc in pasadena, it was set up by esp and it's ready to rock with new strings and it's in mint condition
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

It's the same company, probably even the same warehouse. Either way, any deal you get from one, you can get from the others. A while back when MF and Music123 were having "warehouse reorganization" problems (delayed shipping, etc) was likely them combining stock into one location. They all ship from Lenexa, KS now.
  9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

10. Immigrant

Immigrant

I'm almost sure of it. Anyway, their addresses are the same.:p

And yes, they price match or beat. I was on MF a couple of years ago ordering a Roland drum set and it re-directed me to Music 123 along with a $300 off coupon claiming the site was "down for maintenance."

I've been trying to avoid them, but that P Bass is calling me.
  11. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Bought one several weeks ago before they went on sale (got a refund on the rest of the purchase price).

This is one of the finest P basses I have EVER owned (and I own several). I HIGHLY recommend this bass to anyone. For $699, you can NOT go wrong!

Pics below:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/2012-american-special-p-bass-honeyburst-927909/
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    List price is $1,289 but most retailers are selling them for $899.
  13. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Mexico is in America, but the American Specials are not MIM.
  15. makaspar

makaspar

Mexico is in North America...
  16. swamp2

swamp2

I missed this deal the other weekend. Any idea if GC is gonna repeat it for Black Friday?
  17. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Price is back up to $899. The $699 dealio is gone but the 15% Black Friday sale puts it at $764.99.
  18. Saxomafone

Saxomafone

I just bought the honeyburst finish one today. I missed the $699 deal, but I got 15% off, so it cost me $740 with the gig bag. I don't know about the other colors, but this hand applied finish is thin and the bass is very resonant. The neck is thin and smooth with the satin finish. Setup and action were superb!

They claim to only have one per store and this finish is exclusive to Guitar Center, although a buddy found a UK site that sells it. So I still am happy with what I got, an "American" made Fender P.
  19. Saxomafone

Saxomafone

Oops, with the gig bag it's $764. Anyway still a good deal to me.
  20. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

It was all I could do not to buy one of these during the $699 sale but for once I exercised some restraint. I have too many P Basses as it is. Neat basses, though.
  21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That honeyburst is beautiful man that is nice.