1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender American Special P Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RayFox, Jan 29, 2014.

1. RayFox

RayFox

I purchased a brand new in the box Fender American Special P Bass honey-burst, with maple neck, which I absolutely love. I love the strings from the factory. So, I went to purchase a set for my other bass and the strings have colored ball ends, unlike the strings that came from the factory which are all the same color on my new Am Special. They even feel slightly different even though are the same gauge and composition and are what Fender says come on the bass. Has anyone else experience this and if so how could I get the exact same strings that came on my P Bass from the factory?
  2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Fender changed their strings like a year or 2 ago.....I am pretty sure they outsource them to D'addario now....so for the last like year year and a half some basses came with older no colored ball ends strings and others came with the colored ball ends that they put in their new packs....now like 2.5 years ago most came with grey(8250s)silks and black(7250s) silks....those strings are even better then the ones without silks....but Fender doesnt care about quality anymore and their new strings are garbage....another difference you can tell is their flatwounds....the older ones have lighter green silk then the new ones.
    so hate to say it but you need to find a new string!
  3. RayFox

RayFox

Thanks for your response. I notice that you had a reference to the Gallien Kreuger club? I have aGK 1001 RBll head and lately I have notice the volume cutting out for a short time could that be a result of dirty pots? I ask cause they are also scratchy.
  4. Dredmahawkus

I am not good with electronics....when mine breaks I bring it to a tech...but scratchy pots could be it as long as it goes back ok when you fiddle with the knob

I just thought of something...I got a couple new basses this year and I just take the fender strings right off....both had no silks and all gold balls roundwounds....I think they are 7250s....If you want them PM me and they are yours.....I just scored a couple packs of the older fender 7250s with the black silks!
  5. RayFox

RayFox

Thanks for the string offer, but I am all set for now.
    Ray
  6. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Try SIT power wounds, they replaced the nickle strings on all my Fenders
  7. 4bassjohn

4bassjohn

Hey RayFox
    In response to your dirty pot question, that sounds like the issue. They're pretty easy to clean as long as they're not sealed and if you're comfortable with opening up the unit. CRC makes a line of electronics cleaning products that work well. I use their quick dry contact cleaner on pots.
  8. Dredmahawkus

I ordered a pack of these last week.....I am going to try them next on my standard...they seem the closest to the 8250s...nickel piano like taperwound.
  9. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

They seem to settle in fast with a nice mid range. Very pleased with them on a Precision.
    Are you using them on a J standard?