1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender American Special precision question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Is 2011 a good year for them? How's $550 for one with no case, assuming it's in good shape? It's black 'n maple btw.

I've looked into the various Special vs Standard threads and the consensus seems to be this one has slightly inferior tuners and bridge, non string-through bridge, and doesn't come with a case when it's new. They both apparently have graphite support rods in the neck? Is that about it?

2. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Yes, graphite support rods. I used to have an Am Special jazz and it was a very good bass. Basically the same neck as an Am Std I believe.

No string-thru body (no big deal to me), standard no frills bridge, cheaper but adequate tuners like on the MIM and some Squier models.

Street price of around $999 new. So $550 probably isn't out of line if you like it.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Oh, and the special has grease bucket tone control? What does that mean in terms of how it sounds with the tone rolled down? Is it nice and warm?

4. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

I never can get that straight, whether rolled up or rolled down means more treble. I usually played mine with the treble all the way up, or nearly so. What the greasebucket is supposed to do is roll off the highs without muddying up the lows. I guess it is a good circuit. Slightly modified with a resistor in series? with the tone cap. If you didn't like the greasebucket it would be a cinch to re-wire the tone control to the standard way.

5. Register to disable this ad