Fender American Standard P and J vs Boutique

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michricker, Feb 22, 2014.

1. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

After having almost every flavor of boutique jazz and p basses, sadowsky metro/NYC, lakland USA, Nordy, ken smith USA, etc. I got a pair of 2012 Fender American Standards.

2012 jazz is 7.8 lbs, perfect balance, zero dead spots, great punchy tone
    2012 p is 8.7 lbs, great balance, zero dead spots, perfect old pbass tone with flats

The fretwork and action is great and I say really on par with the boutiques I have had. I got both used. Both of these are significantly less expensive together than one of the boutiques. Funny thing is I actually prefer the tone and feel. Like them better than the 2001 custom shop jazz I had too.

Did I just luck out finding two good ones? Or others have the the same experience?

For the money I have into these, first basses which may be basses for life I have had.
  2. michricker

Edit. I do love my MTD 635 to cover the modern tone side of the house. It's a mahogany body with wenge/wenge neck. Redwood flame top. Clear punchy and modern tone with abit of growl. The best B string I have ever heard. Amazing chordal tone.
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I think Fender is aware of all the competition from boutique copy companies. They're trying to win the public back with the higher quality instruments they've been putting out over the last few years.
  4. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

I think this is an example why Fender is the most successful guitar manufacturer in the world. Very good quality at a reasonable price (not always but most of the time.)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

The recent American Standards I've tried have all been excellent. Great set of features on them, too.
  7. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Well for what it's worth, I have a 2012 American standard jazz and a Sadowsky UV 70 metro with the hum-cancelling pickups. I gig both basses regularly.

Sadowsky afficionados will probably disagree with me on what I'm about to say, but so be it.

In an honest, unbiased evaluation of each bass after 6 months worth of gigs; basses played side by side; each taken solely on individual merit; I have to say that the construction and playability of the jazz is every bit as good as the Sadowsky...and it (i.e. the jazz) sounds much better... AND it was half the price...ergo the Jazz IMO represents better value for money.
  8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I believe that down the road the current era of American Standard Fender Jazz and Precision basses will be considered a golden era. The quality, features and value/price ration are very high.

To quote Carly Simon, "these are the good old days".
  9. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

I'm inclined to agree with you Mike. This 2012 Am std jazz of mine is the best jazz I've ever played (and I've played a few jazz basses in my time). I want another, but can't really justify it at the moment.
  10. michricker

Played jazz at practice. Listening to recording the jazz sounds fantastic
  11. dinodino

dinodino Supporting Member

Wow, you are extremely lucky to find a Jazz in that weight class. I've been trying to hunt down light fender Js, and usually 8.5 lbs is considered light... I've never come across one under 8 yet!
  12. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Bought an MIA Jazz Standard last year...sold it in less than 3 months...worst bass I ever owned. Now playing an Xotic XJ-1T...best bass I've ever owned along w the FBasses, AC5 and the BN5. Sadowsky, Xotic, FBass, Lakland are all gonna build you a much better quality bass than Fender. IMO, You lucked out.
    Disclaimer: Everything I post on TB is only my opinion man...lol
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
  13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A little further down the totem pole, I have a '93 1st generation 22 fret American Standard Jazz bass and although nowhere near boutique, it officially rocks also. As people consider them ugly, it was very affordable. Consider the direct comparison of boutique vs Fender; one is limited production, the other is mass production. Is every single bass made by either going to be great? Luckily we have so many basses to choose from and a wide range of prices to make most everyone happy.
  14. michricker

Great feedback. Thanks
  15. michricker

I have a gig tonight. I will of course bring my mtd 635 as I have numerous arrangements in the set that require a six string.

However for the other 80 percent of the sets I need to decide to bring the jazz or the p. I want to only bring one as I use a a/b for a quick switch between songs. I love them both.

Do you all think audiences these days prefer a p bass with flats or a jazz bass with rounds? Music is funky jazzy blues. Three hour set.
  16. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

I agree. Most USA alder body jazz basses weight at least 9-9.5 lbs. If you want to sell the jazz you have let me know. The weight seems to good to be true.
  17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Most of the audience could care less what you play as long as it sounds and feels good ;) For the show I'm currently playing I've used several basses and without telling the engineer which one I've had before any given night, the best tone I've had in the house was my Squier Classic Vibe Precision! Other basses include a Sadowsky MV5, various other Precisions.

I would agree that this is likely going to be considered a "Golden Age" for Fender. Their attention to detail and overall quality on the MIA instruments is as good as it gets for a factory instrument. I've had a few of the post 2008 Standards and all of them have been either good or absolutely great basses. If you need that sound/look, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
  18. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

As far as boutique is concerned, that '63 P-bass AVRI in blue is the bees knees. There is absolutely no reason for me to need or own one...but I still want it.
    If I were spending the cash I would get that over a deluxe.
  19. michricker

Yes. This is a unique fender jazz for sure at 7.8lbs. Great tone. Better than the sadowsky metros I've had and really on par with the sadowsky NYCs I've had. I actually like the light alder solid body with good old single coils better. I use it with a basswitch di and it is one of the best jazz tones I have ever come accross. The basswitch is expensive ($600) street but can make a passive bass sound sooooo good.

Decided. Going to bring the jazz tonight. :)
  20. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

I would say quality of recent fenders has improved but due to the amount of instruments they make there are still a fair amount of not so great Fenders out there. You are more likely now to get a good Fender buying sight unseen than probably the last several decades.

I had some really bad and some really good experiences with Fender product the previous decade. The quality of the Squier's seems to be where Fender was in the 90's IMO.

My two main basses are an American Deluxe Precision and A Squier VM TB Bass. They are two of the best playing and well balanced basses I have owned. The ADP is just incredible and with maybe the exception of the preamp is a perfect bass stock. Preamp is not bad but not amazing. The VM TB is sonically a beast but plays and feels very similar to his much more expensive sister.

Glad you found some winners. :bassist: