1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender American Standard vs. Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyRob813, Sep 10, 2013.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

I’ve got the bug to own a Jazz bass again. I know there are higher-end brands I could go for, but I’ve always been a Fender fan. I’m also looking for the highest quality jazz bass I can find that I’m not going to sweat bullets over every time I have to check it into baggage in an airport, or an accidental ding.
    With that being said, I was hoping someone might have insight on both Fender’s “Marcus Miller” signature model, and the American Standard Jazz. Doesn’t make much of a difference, but I’m looking at the 5er in both models. I’ve never been taken in by a celebrity’s name on a product, but I have to say, from the looks and videos I’ve watched so far, the Marcus really seems pretty high quality. I’m not crazy about the pickup cover, but of course I can just take that off.
    So if anyone has played both, I’d love to hear your opinions on tone quality, playability, (particularly ease of access to the upper register), and/or anything else you deem noteworthy.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    The 5 string MM is very, very high quality. The 4 string version is not as good.

I really like the Marcus tone. I go about getting it by using a passive J bass and a Sadowsky pre. That way I can have that classic J tone and then also the modern way.

Should save you a lot of cash to go with that option if $$$ is an issue.

The new J basses all have very modern necks, so I think you will be happy there (if that is your thing).
  3. teedook

teedook

Hi,

I need some help deciding whether to get a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, I can buy a used one for $680. IS this an Okay price for this bass?
    [​IMG]
  4. happyg

happyg

If I'm not mistaken, the MM V is American made. Its about 2 grand new. That's enough to make me worry about checking it etc. I'd go with the Am Standard jazz. I like the neck on the Am Standard better. I like the look of the MM better.
  5. teedook

teedook

OR this one for $650?

1993-94 Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller Edition.

Active pickups
    maple fretboard with pearl block inlays
    BadAss II bridge

[​IMG]
    Thanks for any help!
  6. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

new standard has a compound radius fingerboard and oiled neck, MM has a vintage radius fingerboard and a lacquer neck.

The standard is far more playable, and adjustable setup wise. And cheaper. Same quality too. Ive owned 4-5 standards and 3 MM
  7. teedook

teedook

I believe both of these MM V's I posted are Made in Japan.. What's everyone opinion, are either one worth it for the price?
  8. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

Neither bass you posted is an MM V. You posted two MM IVs. :rollno:
  9. superjesus

Since when? Am Stds have a satin urethane neck and 9.5" radius fingerboard.
  10. Guidobass

Guidobass

I had and American standard an sold it to buy my Marcus 5er and I don't regret a thing...the Marcus plays sooo smooth and the quality is stellar....I have smaller hands for a bass player so the neck feels great for me....I go through periods where I love having the pickup cover on and then I can't stand it lol.... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380487078.748895.jpg
  11. teedook

teedook

Thanks for the correction. Are either MM IVs a good bass to purchase at the price listed?
  12. superjesus

Are you aware that asking this question is a rule violation unless you're a supporting member?
  13. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Not only that ^^^, it's a thread Hijack. Teedook is not the OP...:rollno:
  14. teedook

teedook

I was not aware it is a rule violation.

Also was not aware that it's not ok to post a new question in a already existing thread.. apologies, I'm learning.