Fender American Vintage 62 P Bass vs. American Vintage 63 P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twangster101, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Twangster101

Twangster101 Supporting Member

I am debating on purchasing a Fender American Vintage Series P Bass and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 62 vs. the 63. Are the necks the same as far as thickness from front to back? Also does the 62 have the slab fretboard and if so how does it feel compared to the 63? Which one would you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  2. Twangster101

No opinions? Wow
  3. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I have no experience, but that 63 in Sonic Blue is the bomb.
  4. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

T101, I have not yet gotten my hands on a '63. (The '63 sonic blue IS the bomb, at least in the looks department. And the Seminole red looks pretty hot too.)

I can tell you that the '62, at least my 2011 sunburst, is absolutely killer. I can't imagine paying 1.5-2 times the price for the '63. That nitro smell is intoxicating, build quality is fantastic and the tone with flats is pure Jamerson. Neck profile is super-playable once you adjust to the string spacing. That's saying something, because I prefer Jazz necks. The AVRI has a thick slab fretboard like a real '62. But mine stays in the case 99% of the time because I'm concerned I'll scratch it. :(

These pop up from time to time on TB. Great bass. One day I'll buy the '63-style pup cover and you won't be able to tell the difference except by the serial number! It's a forever bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
  7. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

I never played the '63 but I purchased a '62 about 10 years ago and it's still one of my goto basses. It just sounds amazing and I get tons of compliments every time I gig with it.
  8. 4andnomore

4andnomore

+1 my '62 is to me as good as it gets. Never played a '63 so can't say.
  9. Nick303

Nick303

I played a 63 in my local shop recently and it's the best Fender I've ever played.
  10. Twangster101

Thanks guys. I've found a 62 on line and am GASSING hard for it. Y'all may have caused me to pull the trigger. But there's still the 63......:)
  11. Energy

Energy

Ummm, I assume the Nash '63 can do the job....?
  12. Twangster101

The Nash is fantastic!!! I was gonna put flats on her but those Dunlops sounded so good and growly that I'm gonna leave them on for a while. I'm sure this is just a GAS pain lol.
  13. qwench

qwench Supporting Member

I was watching this thread too and was surprised it took awhile for TB'ers to get going on it...

I have YET to play the '63 AVRI but played a few of the 62's...I am guessing they are fairly close but the MAIN reason for me chiming in here is to say that EITHER one of these could easily be a life long keeper...seems as if there were very few lemons in the 62 AVRI series and so far have not heard of any in the 63 series...needless to say, a used or new old stock 62 might help keep a few $$ in your pocket...

It kinda comes down to what color combo you are looking at...the ONLY vast improvment I can see is that the 3 tone sunburst on the new AVRI 63 Pre looks AWESOME & much better IMO than the '62 AVRI 3 tone sunburst!!! Good luck with you GAS pains!
    Twangster101 likes this.
  14. Twangster101

Thanks for the input. I certainly need help on the GAS lol.
  15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I currently own both of these basses and I have played them for some times.

Both are really nice instruments. The 62 has a thinner neck than the 63. Both of them are 1.75 inch wide, the widest P neck made. The 62 has a thinner headstock and feels more vintage to me.

The 62 weakness is the pickup, these basses shipped with pickups which did not sound good to my ears, they were rather harsh. I put some Seymour Duncan Antiquity II and the bass has sounded great ever since.

The 63 has a great pickup straight from the factory.

From a feel stand point of view, I prefer the 62 but this is really subjective. Again these basses are very similar in tone and in feel.
    I can't say the fretboard difference makes a big difference. The 62 has a thicker layer of rosewood which seems better to me.

62 P are less expensive and deliver a better value at this point, they are no longer manufactured. The 63 are still in production so you may buy this instrument brand new if this is what you want.
  16. Twangster101

Thanks Laurent!
  17. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Twangster, what's the deal, are you loading up on P basses this week? I see you just scored a Nash today on another thread. I guess that one's not enough to tame your wandering eye?
  18. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Laurent does point out that this observation is entirely subjective, and to that point, I'd argue contra that the 62 pickup is for me a strength of the 62 AVRI. For me, that stock pickup is A definite sweet spot (which is not to say it is the SOLE sweet spot; sometimes my 57 AVRI P is the better choice for recording on a particular track. And in this regard there IS no ultimate tone.

My lone knock on the vintage Fenders is that the retuning in frequently necessary. Those necks without graphite reinforcement are such that you can pretty much grab the headstock and twist the neck so that the strings go in and out of intonation. Alternately, the more stable necks often seem to lack some sonic complexity (this is my issue with MIJ Fenders, which are inevitably tanks, but often somewhat bloodless or generic-sounding.

I'm gonna hang up on myself here now and go find a 63 to test drive for the first time. I'm a little afraid to do so, actually - and I don't think I have to tell you guys why...
  19. Twangster101

Thanks Jah Wobble! I got the Nash last Friday and she had rounds on her. I'm a flat guy usually but I loved the growl she had with those Nickel Dunlops. I may (need)/want) a 63 with flats:)
  20. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    In Hollywood they have a saying, "It's all about the NEXT job."
    Around TB, it's all about the next guitar.

As you are in an acquisitive mode, why not score the 62 AND the 63 and do a shoot-out with those two and the Nash? :hyper:
  21. Twangster101

Hey don't think that hadn't crossed my mind :)