1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender American Zone pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cpspoon, Jan 3, 2014.

1. cpspoon

cpspoon

Anyone had any experience replacing pickups in an American Zone? I can seem to find anything that will fit correctly. I would appreciate any advise or experience anyone has on this.
  2. piller86

piller86

I am curious of the same thing. The fit is awkward it looks like they took a J pickup and put it on a diet of Crisco. I haven't taken them out and looked but I wonder if you can use the same outer pickup case and find a pickup that will fit inside. I am also thinking of putting either a Glockenklang pre or a Nordstrand pre in it, but I can't decide which way to go, anyone got experience with either of these?
  3. cpspoon

cpspoon

I now have experience with both. The route on the zone is unique to those pickups and I could not find replacements that fit. I did however talk to Fender and managed a set from them. At the time they had one neck and a few bridge pickups remaining.

I replaced the preamp with a Nordstrand 3b5a and it works incredibly well. It uses 18v just like the stock preamp. Only install issue was the Nordstrand uses full size pots so I had to enlarge the mini pot holes for the EQ pots.

One pickups and preamp we're replace I have a winner that will be my main base for a while. Hope this helps you.
  4. cpspoon

cpspoon

I now have experience with both. The route on the zone is unique to those pickups and I could not find replacements that fit. I did however talk to Fender and managed a set from them. At the time they had one neck and a few bridge pickups remaining.

I replaced the preamp with a Nordstrand 3b5a and it works incredibly well. It uses 18v just like the stock preamp. Only install issue was the Nordstrand uses full size pots so I had to enlarge the mini pot holes for the EQ pots.

One pickups and preamp we're replace I have a winner that will be my main base for a while. Hope this helps you.
  5. piller86

piller86

How does the nordstrand compare to the standard pre?