1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender, and cheap plastic thumb rests...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gbass75, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

I think the plastic thumb rests are totally ridiculous... especially if you're paying more than $1000 for the bass.

I always replace mine with either an ebony or rosewood one.

Did Fender always make these out of plastic? Fender historians? ...got any answers for us?

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Is it more ridiculous (cheap-ass) than Rickenbacker deleting their cool checkerboard body binding, back in the day?

3. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

I've played some late 60's Fenders and they were always plastic. They may have used something else earlier than that, but I believe all of the mid to late 60's and 70's basses were all plastic.

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

My '63 Jazz thumb rest is made of what appears to be the same plastic as newer ones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass32

bass32

My '75 p-bass still has the original plastic thumbrest and it's still in good shape. So not a problem for me.

[​IMG]

7. mexMan

mexMan

What keeps me awake at night is, are Fender Jazz Basses actually designed for slapping the crap out of them? I feel their strings too close from each other to actually have enough space for all the slapping and string pulling, I'm no expert because I have never had a Fender bass for more than a few hours, that's why I ask.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.

The Jazz Bass was released a number of years before slapping was ever heard from electric bassists. Safe to say that the slap technique was not a design concern for the Jazz Bass.

9. mexMan

mexMan

Oh.

tencharacters.

JK, so are plastic thumbrests for lazy ass players than can´t keep their hands in a specific position? I kid too much.

10. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Early 50's P-Basses had wood finger rests, with one screw.