1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

fender and labella flats tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by backup, Jan 17, 2013.

1. i currently use fender 9050L and i'd like to try out labellas perchance. now i find the fenders quit sloppy so id like some heavier strings.
    how do labella 760FL compare to the fenders tension wise? or should i go with the FS for an increase in tension and size compared to the fender 9050L?

2. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I have P Basses with both of those strings and a third with Roto flats. The Fenders and LaBellas are roughly the same tension as far as I can tell with a slight edge to the LaBellas as being a little stiffer. The Rotos are in a different league altogether. A lot stiffer but work great for the bass that they're on. They all sound different too. In order of brightness Rotos, Fender, Labella. Hope this helps.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    Forgot to mention that all three sets are .45-.105

5. ok so if i go with the FL i will have an increase in tension compared to the fenders. thats all i wanted to know thanks!

6. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    It's not a lot but my LaBellas feel stiffer than the Fenders.

7. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, LaBella FL are quite, but not overly, stiff - as mentioned above they are quite dark/deep sounding in my opinion and that seems to increase a little over time. Great if that's the sound you're looking for :)

8. Danno1985

Danno1985

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've got the LaBella FLs on my P and the Fenders on my Jazz. I used to have the LaBellas on the Jazz but found them a bit too stiff for my taste at the bridge, where I spend a lot of my time on the Jazz. On the Precision, they're perfect.