1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fender and labella flats tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by backup, Jan 17, 2013.

1. backup

backup

i currently use fender 9050L and i'd like to try out labellas perchance. now i find the fenders quit sloppy so id like some heavier strings.
    how do labella 760FL compare to the fenders tension wise? or should i go with the FS for an increase in tension and size compared to the fender 9050L?
  2. jbednarski

jbednarski

I have P Basses with both of those strings and a third with Roto flats. The Fenders and LaBellas are roughly the same tension as far as I can tell with a slight edge to the LaBellas as being a little stiffer. The Rotos are in a different league altogether. A lot stiffer but work great for the bass that they're on. They all sound different too. In order of brightness Rotos, Fender, Labella. Hope this helps.
  3. jbednarski

jbednarski

Forgot to mention that all three sets are .45-.105
  4. backup

backup

ok so if i go with the FL i will have an increase in tension compared to the fenders. thats all i wanted to know thanks!
  5. jbednarski

jbednarski

It's not a lot but my LaBellas feel stiffer than the Fenders.
  6. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Yeah, LaBella FL are quite, but not overly, stiff - as mentioned above they are quite dark/deep sounding in my opinion and that seems to increase a little over time. Great if that's the sound you're looking for :)
  7. Danno1985

Danno1985 Supporting Member

I've got the LaBella FLs on my P and the Fenders on my Jazz. I used to have the LaBellas on the Jazz but found them a bit too stiff for my taste at the bridge, where I spend a lot of my time on the Jazz. On the Precision, they're perfect.