1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender AV 1964 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rust_preacher, Jan 15, 2014.

1. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

I have visited two Guitar Centers in the Bay Area this week. The one bass I have taken of the wall in either is the American vintage 1964 Jazz, at 16XX US dollars, in Lake Placid Blue. Is the color a sign of the season? This is a sale price, according to the tag effective until the end of the month.

http://www.fender.com/series/americ...inated-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Let's say I had sold all my basses.... and thus had the justification to buy another... I would have bought both! Instead, I have settled for some nano pedals and accessories.

2. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Funny, I played the same bass at a GC today. They had the LPB and the 3TB. The LPB was marked down to the price you mentioned, the 3TB was "full price".

Maybe it was me, maybe it was the setups, maybe it was the pickup covers, maybe it was the lacquer neck... but they didn't click for me. I actually wondered if I remembered how to play bass. :meh:

Of the two, I liked the looks of the LPB as I'm a sucker for matching headstock.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

... looks like this LPB version is goin' to become sought after much like it was, among other available colors with former MIJ Hot Rod Red Jaguar

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. pfox14

pfox14

I'd go for the '64 AVRI

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Hmmm. NAMM is right around the corner. Perhaps Fender is going to introduce a new color for the AV 64 Jazz bass and phase out Lake Placid Blue?

7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

I still drool after them having slept the night. I think the neck was nice and chunky, the lacquer added to the solid feel, in my opinion. The only thing I would do would be to drill another thumbrest on the upper side, as I didn't find a proper anchor. The one at the Santa Clara GC was lighter than the one in the SF GC, and better set up. I think the SC GC bass department was better taken care of as well, at least the people working there seemed to be players.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

It was marked down to $1600? it's $2100 everywhere else.

9. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

I concur. My GC had it for 2100$ last week. LPB and all.
    I have mentioned it here before but when I played it the string(s) hit the pickup cover and let out a high pitched metal like tone throuout the store.
    Bad setup I'm sure but for $2100.00 USD I'd expect more.

Sure looked nice though. I was also un-impressed with it's "ultra-slim" neck or whatever the Fender write up described it as. I was expecting a much slimmer neck.
    But....chunky is good too sometimes.

10. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

In no way is it ultra-slim. I have had to endure much slimmer.

And if I recall it was 1698 bucks. Plus tax of course.

The one I plugged in didn't have any setup issues.

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Yeah, the one I played was around that price.

I'd agree that the neck is not particularly slim. I did like the vintage frets but not the finish. Setup was high on mine. Not a fan of the truss adjust either but it's period-correct so...

For me, it was an easy pass but it sure does look nice.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320

very nice

there's a Squier signature model, James Johnston's, featurin' a
    '60s Classic Vibe kinda fit n'finish with a lake placid blue body and headstock paint, mint green three ply pickguard and their trademark Custom (Vintage wired) singles

Yeah: but it's dull substitute to a real AVRI '64 Jazz bass:bawl:

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. marcwcarroll

marcwcarroll

I purchase one at GC for $1650 (clearance price) and loved it, got it home and went to change strings,.. under the bridge cover were huge gouges into the finish. Called and returned to look another they had hanging.... more scratches underneath.

GC was kind to offer me ordering one from distribution at the same clearance cost. It came in today and guess what,... not only were there gouges under the bridge cover, the nitro finish was already checking.
    I am heart broken but had to get my $ back. Perhaps a flawless AVRI 64 Jazz does not exist and this come with the territory when bridge covers are introduced to nitro finish.

Also, I traded in my Squier CV 60 jazz when I first bought this. Now I am completely jazz less.

14. walkbassman45

walkbassman45

Then try the Fender Custom Shop '64 in LPB. It rocks......

Attached Files: