1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD Fender AVRI 57 Reissue Precision “Mary Kaye”

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Blues Infidel, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues Infidel

Blues Infidel Gold Supporting Member

I got this bass as part of a trade deal. I love P-Basses and this is a nice one. Looks great, plays great, and sounds great. Nice weight too at just under 9.2 lbs. I’m used to an ‘A’ or ‘B’ neck, but was interested in trying a classic ‘C’. It’s not uncomfortable; in fact a lot of people find them ideal. It’s just not what I’m used to so I’m offering it up for sale. If you dig that wide, slightly thin maple neck - this is your bass.

It’s in excellent shape, especially considering it’s 25 years old, with no real dings or wear. The frets look great. The nitro finish is crazed here and there, which actually looks kind of cool. It’s hard to see it in normal light, especially straight on, so I took some close-ups in bright light to overemphasize how they look. What you primarily see is the shadow cause by the light hitting the crazing at an extreme angle. Most of the time and under normal conditions they are barely visible. There are also a couple of dark areas on the bottom of the bass that I assume is from the reaction of the nitro finish from sitting too long on a guitar stand.

The Fender inspection tag indicates that it was built in 1989. The bass comes with the original G&G tweed case and a lot of the original case candy.

$1100 plus shipping. PayPal is fine, but I can make other arrangements if necessary. I will only ship the bass to a US address.

As far as trades go, I’m raising funds to get a Roscoe or Sadowsky 5, so I would only be interested in one of those plus cash on my end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one of the back. You can see a little of the crazing near the end of the bass near the strap button.

[​IMG]

Here's one with the covers on.

[​IMG]

Some close-ups showing the crazing.

[​IMG]

Upper horn.

[​IMG]

Dark spots

[​IMG]

Case candy

[​IMG]

More photos here: http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/bluesinfidel/library/Fender%20AVRI%2057%20Reissue%20Precision

2. mtonbass

mtonbass Supporting Member

Yer killin' me. I just got a 63 AVRI! Timing is everything.

3. Twangster101

Twangster101 Supporting Member

I just got the. 58 yesterday. I want this one too!!! Man she's sweet !!!

4. Rob S

Rob S

Is the hardware gold or is it just the pics? I didn't know the AVRI '57 was ever offered by Fender with gold hardware. Tuners look chrome though. This is a cool bass! Where are you located?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Blues Infidel

Everything on this bass that would normally be chrome is gold plated, including the tuners. There aren't many with this combination of gold hardware and the see through white/blonde finish (AKA Mary Kaye) out there. The bass is in CT.

7. Blues Infidel

I also want to mention that it would appear to have a one piece neck - that is, no separate maple fingerboard. The body also appears to be a single piece. If there's a seam, I can't find it.

I pulled the bass out to check some things that folks had asked about. I played it a bit and was impressed again by how lively this bass is unplugged. I'm probably a fool for letting it go.

8. Rob S

Rob S

Probably :bawl:

Is the gold plating factory?

9. pgullo64

pgullo64 Supporting Member

I have the same bass-same year. Factory Gold hardware.

10. goldenera

goldenera

11. Blues Infidel

On hold pending payment.

12. Blues Infidel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.