Fender AVRI 75 or Sadowsky Metro UV70?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronHuff, Dec 12, 2012.

1. AaronHuff

AaronHuff Supporting Member

I think I know what the prevailing opinion here on TB will be, but...
    When you factor in the price difference (at least $1000), which way would you go? Can anybody here who has experience with both offer any insight into the sound difference, build quality, etc.? There aren't any of these exact models here in town, so I can't actually get my hands on one before buying. I'm just looking for the best ash/maple/black blocks and binding bass I can find under, say, $3000.
  2. greenrositti

greenrositti Supporting Member

I like my '75 AVRI with Duncan Dual Coils much MUCH better than any Sadowsky I've ever played, but YMMV. They are both potentially great. The key is to find a really good one.
  3. zortation

zortation

Out of those two choices, go with the Fender.
  4. greenrositti

greenrositti Supporting Member

Now to actually answer your question:

I actually think the build quality is comparable. Soundwise, I find the Sads to be a little drier and more scooped than the very round grind that my personal AVRI exhibits, but again, they're all different.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zortation

zortation

The '75 Fender will just sound better. Better than 90% of the boutique copies out there. As far as the construction, it's a Fender. :)
  7. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

I owned both. I like both. I'll try to not be bias at all and give my thoughts and experience with both.

75'RI Build quality is Fender factory "good". It has a great, great passive 70's J tone. But whenever I played it, I always felt the need to use my outboard Sadowsky preamp to dial in that bright/sizzly tone and add Fat bottom end (for the tone I was after). I thought about installing a preamp in it but decided not to for various reasons.

It may have been mine in specific, but I had truss rod issues. I maxed it out and the neck still wasn't to the relief I wanted. I couldn't straighten it out anymore...

7.25" radius felt amazing in my hands. Loved the feel of the bass. The glossy neck did get a bit sticky or "grabby" though.

I felt it needed a higher mass bridge (BadassII) to get "that" tone I was after, thus I bought one and put one on.

UV70: Build quality is as good as a JJ bass can get. It is a step up from the 75' RI.

Pickups - I usually spec out any Sadowsky I own with true Single Coils - but in the UV70's case, I actually liked the HC's a bit better as they has a slight "scoop" to them which was the tone I was after. Kinda "built in". I tried the Aguilar 70's style J's in it as well and thought they were killer.

Having an onboard preamp for a 70's style J is almost a must IMO (for the tones I was after)... and having the VTC along with the treble boost, you can dial in a lot of great tones. Being active sure is a plus (for the tones I was after). High mass bridge built in - plus (for what I was after).

10" Radius is a bit more flat and "modern" feeling... No gloss on the neck - for me personally, I liked this as my thumb didn't "drag". Faster feeling neck overall.

No trussrod issue... no build quality issues whatsoever.

The overall "feel" of the Sadowsky was rock solid, and the tone felt that way too. Very "stiff" / "punchy". The neck joint is super, super tight. The 75' RI doesn't have that super tight neck pocket, and it yields a slightly "warmer" tone IMO.

.... and thats about all that comes to mind. Hope that helps.
  8. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

9. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

10. AaronHuff

AaronHuff Supporting Member

Thanks for the help! I've been seriously considering that used UV70 on the Sadowsky site.
  11. scyzoryk

scyzoryk Supporting Member

I just had the same dilemma -- Fender 4 banger or Sadowsky. Bought a Sadowsky last week and just gigged with it live.

I'm hooked it. I get it now... I understand. It just works. And it works well.
  12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of playing the Sadowsky, but it would have to be an EXCEPTIONAL bass to beat my 75......:smug:
  13. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation Supporting Member

You're 'right down the street' (not literally, but not too far) from Bass San Diego. I was just there and they have a few nice Sadowsky's in stock, including a metro with single coils.

HTH...